lion and snake

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help with this one? It depicts a lion's head with a snake above it. I'm researching this for a friend who posted to another forum with no success. It has some weight and is not a fly or keyhole cover. For clarity, I've included the same item (red background) found by a gentleman in TN. Thanks as always.

Note: as a followup, I've added the one found by Mainedigger following Bramble's lead. Thanks, Bramble!

Attachments

• lionshead.jpg
    lionshead.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 369
  • BRASS_LION_HEAD_SNAKElr.jpg
    BRASS_LION_HEAD_SNAKElr.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 359
  • lion.jpg
    lion.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 347
There is a Lion & Swan Hotel in Congleton, UK?

3991563.JPEG

In alchemy it represents the spirit and female soul.

1.jpg

Best so far: WWII era Russian Naval Officers dress dagger belt & hanger.

Getting close, perhaps from some earlier version?

b8407.jpg

Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
I just did a search on the forum and found that in addition to the one you have pictured which was posted last month - another of these was posted a few years ago. Found in Maine?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,182524.0.html

Wow, thanks for the link. Having visited the thread, it's fascinating to note that Mainedigger's object is 2 inches high and my friend's is 5. The design, however, is identical. It's also interesting that the item has been found from Maine to Tennessee.

Upvote 0
Charlie P. (NY) said:
There is a Lion & Swan Hotel in Congleton, UK?

In alchemy it represents the spirit and female soul.

Best so far: WWII era Russian Naval Officers dress dagger belt & hanger.

Getting close, perhaps from some earlier version?

This is also compelling -- great research, Charlie. A definite consideration in my book.

Upvote 0
kyphote said:
Bramblefind said:
I just did a search on the forum and found that in addition to the one you have pictured which was posted last month - another of these was posted a few years ago. Found in Maine?

Wow, thanks for the link. Having visited the thread, it's fascinating to note that Mainedigger's object is 2 inches high and my friend's is 5. The design, however, is identical. It's also interesting that the item has been found from Maine to Tennessee.

I believe your friends measuring stick is metric. Unless it's divided into tenths of an inch. I believe both of these are the same size.

Upvote 0
Alabamared said:
kyphote said:
Bramblefind said:

I believe your friends measuring stick is metric. Unless it's divided into tenths of an inch. I believe both of these are the same size.

In millimeters, indeed! Thanks for pointing that out. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can anyone help with this one? It depicts a lion's head with a snake above it. I'm researching this for a friend who posted to another forum with no success. It has some weight and is not a fly or keyhole cover. For clarity, I've included the same item (red background) found by a gentleman in TN. Thanks as always.

Note: as a followup, I've added the one found by Mainedigger following Bramble's lead. Thanks, Bramble!
Thanks for the post. I just found the exact item

Attachments

• 20230406_183914.jpg
    20230406_183914.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back