Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is February and yesterday it was 61 degrees. With snow forecast for today, there was no way I wasn't going to get in a hunt.
I hit a lawn that is across the street from a high school that opened in the early 1900's. This lawn has a slight rise or mound that has trees and provides enough cover for a student to hide while cutting a class or sneaking a cigarette.
I keep a pocket log that I will start at the beginning of each year. I revisit the older logs and review where I have found silver in the past. This lawn has given up some silver dimes and wheat pennies.
I picked away at some clad and some deep wheat pennies. Then I got a signal that registered a 97 on the VDI. On the DEUS that is so close to IRON but I dare not ignore it. I dug a 6 inch plug and ended up staring at what I thought was my first Silver Dollar ever. I retrieved the coin and look at the bust of a person I have never seen on an American Coin. I also saw that there was a bezel attached. Momentarily I'm thinking, a Medallion. I flipped it over and I see 5 Francs, over the date, 1836. This ain't no Medallion. AHHHHH,, thank god for GOOGLE.
It turns out to be a French 5 Francs Silver Coin minted in Rouen, France. I took a few pictures and sent a few texts. Big Silver. Yeeeaaahhhh!!
The rest of that 5 hour hunt added a 1941d Washington Quarter and a total of 13 Wheat Pennies. I also recovered 2 dog tags. One of them says ALTERED. I could send that one to some people I know. lol
There was also a piece of a Jack Daniels Buckle

IMG_5994.JPG

IMG_5993.JPGIMG_5992.JPG

IMG_5996.JPGIMG_5995.JPG

IMG_5991.JPGIMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5988.JPGIMG_5989.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 36
Mega congrats on digging that 5 Francs ATW. Does it have any writing on the edge?

Nice finds!! Love that French 5 Francs coin... Fantastic!! You must have some program loaded in that Deus. Wink, wink [emoji6]. Congratulations, you've got to be psyched about that find!

I think it's time for you to come out of retirement to go back to work! You're finding way too much lately LOL! HH

ATW! That is an awesome silver hub cap! Congrats to you and great job on the research. The successful hunter is a student of human nature, I have always said! Sub 8-)

LET'S TALK " BIG" SILVER

Holy beautiful silver! What a lot of people don't realize is the tremendous amount of foreign coin(especially silver) that circulated in the US throughout most of the 1800's. Reales from the Mexican mint were legal tender in the US until 1857! Nice find and keep it up!

I found one last year in the historic part of my town a 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales in Louisiana. One of the best days of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations my first and only Spanish big silver was one of the most rememberable days of my life. ENJOY!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the productive hunt! The large silver is very nice!

It's worth about $25 in this condition and used as jewelry. But for the excitement of digging such a unique big silver in America, I'd call it priceless!

It's worth about $25 in this condition and used as jewelry. But for the excitement of digging such a unique big silver in America, I'd call it priceless!

Thanks JD19,
Although it is interesting to know the monetary value of a coin,, I have never sold any coins that I have dug. This is the first French silver coin that I have ever recovered. Like you said,, "It's Priceless "

That is a HUGE chunk of silver. I once dug a counterfeit 5 francs. I would have much rather dug the real deal.

Attachments

• 5 Francs-front.jpg.JPG
    5 Francs-front.jpg.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 5 Francs-back.jpg.JPG
    5 Francs-back.jpg.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 56

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back