Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's talk about powerlines

I did a search on powerlines in the forums and really didn't find much discussion at all on this issue.
I even followed a link someone posted for DFX only users only to find there seems to be a universal problem with most detectors. A lot of suggestions for making it work but no one had any concrete examples of there suggestions working.

Someone mentioned taping a coin to reduce sensitivity to detector coils, another had suggestions for adjusting the dfx to minimize the chatter from the lines with the reduction of depth resulting.

Someone else suggested building a portable structure to shield the powerlines and use it, but the other comments were...we look geeky enough without some weird contraption to cover us and our detectors.

Does anyone have secrets they use to detect under powerlines?

Is there any particular detector that will work under them? Some say the ace250 works under them, but I'm looking to upgrade to a top of the line machine and would prefer one that will work under those lines.

There are 3 parks I've been to, one dates back to the 1830's and has 2 terrific spots to hunt, one being by the area that was once a swimming area, so you can see why I'd like to hit those areas, but those dang powerlines just tick me off and discourage me to no end.

Most seem to say walk away, find another place...but seriously...what's under those lines we're missing?

And I also found in areas with fill, the chatter is much worse due to the fill being slag I'm guessing from a close steel mill...probably free to the townships just so they could get rid of the stuff.
I run high disc in these areas as it is just to minimize all the feedback from tiny bits of steel and I know I'm losing depth, but I'm also losing half the searchable area because the powerlines are close to the shelter. I'm sure the high mineralization makes the powerline halo even worse.

I'm tired of walking away from good spots...you know there's goodies there....so...who's done it successfully, what did you use, how much depth did you get?

I'd really like to hear what folks are doing with this.

Al

Re: Let's talk about powerlines

Anyone suggest getting a double D coil? I understand that not only does it help in mineralized ground, it helps somewhat where there are power lines.
You can always call customer service of Garrett and Fishers and get suggestions from them.

Robert R

my fisher coinstrike sucks under power lines. i have to turn the sensitivity WAYYY down to get it to stop chattering. the ace250 does behave better. my tesoro tigershark is pretty immune to power lines.

DON"T GO UNDER POWER LINES!! ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Did you eat paint chips as a child? ;D ;D ;D

On my XLT I switch to my 5in coil and turn my sensitivity down, don't lose much depth at all and I get to hunt under the power lines. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Desertfox

i don't know who told you an Ace 250 wont be affected by power lines, but i can tell you from experience it is. my GTI 2500 is, as well as my Explorer SE. the only thing i found to help was switching to a small coil, reducing your sensitivity way way down or, in some instances, both. my Explorer has a DD coil on it, and it has just as much trouble with the lines as my concentric coils do on the Garretts. i have a similar spot that i KNOW has old coins in it, and there are some spots that i just cannot hunt due to the lines. it drives me crazy!

coin finder said:
DON"T GO UNDER POWER LINES!! ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

sure! will do!
i live in a big city. in order to not go under a power line i would have to avoid a big percentage of the city. its an unrealistic point.

in south florida above ground plant is the norm, not the exception. there's overhead power, catv and telco EVERYWHERE here.

hollowpointred said:
i don't know who told you an Ace 250 wont be affected by power lines, but i can tell you from experience it is. my GTI 2500 is, as well as my Explorer SE. the only thing i found to help was switching to a small coil, reducing your sensitivity way way down or, in some instances, both. my Explorer has a DD coil on it, and it has just as much trouble with the lines as my concentric coils do on the Garretts. i have a similar spot that i KNOW has old coins in it, and there are some spots that i just cannot hunt due to the lines. it drives me crazy!

if your referring to my post, i didnt say the ace250 wasnt affected. i just said it wasnt as affected. the coinstrike's sensitivity has to be taken down to 1 or 2 and the threshhold to -10 just to get it to stabilize under power lines here. the ace250 i use with the 9x12 coil just has to be brought down to maybe a 3 and it will shut up and behave.

the ace250 isnt immune, it just handles it better than the $700 coinstrike.

re-tek said:
hollowpointred said:

if your referring to my post, i didnt say the ace250 wasnt affected. i just said it wasnt as affected. the coinstrike's sensitivity has to be taken down to 1 or 2 and the threshhold to -10 just to get it to stabilize under power lines here. the ace250 i use with the 9x12 coil just has to be brought down to maybe a 3 and it will shut up and behave.

the ace250 isnt immune, it just handles it better than the $700 coinstrike.

no i wasnt referring to your post. for some reason my garrett machines do a little better than the minelab under power lines as well, but only a little. :)

This is good...different detectors, different accessories....that's what I'm looking for. Which combo might just work.

If I'm gonna get a new machine, I need to take into consideration what the area is I'm gonna hunt...and from your posts...I'm not the only one looking with puppy dog eyes at an area I KNOW has goodies, but I can't hunt cause of interference. These could be the last undetected areas because I recently found that my "virgin" park isn't so virgin after all. That explained the distinct absence of quarters. I also found out that very close to the park is several active detectorists.

My old White's, you really can't turn down sensitivity without scrambling the ground balance to it and with high mineralization...the machine is worthless in these areas.

I'm sure others will read these posts as a way to help them figure out if they need to modify what type of machine they are using, or make a more intelligent decision on which machine to purchase, based on older neighborhoods crawling with powerlines and areas that havent been detected because those older machines couldn't handle it.

Thanks for everyone's response.
Al

Being around big microwave dishes are a pain in the %^$%#$$ too.
RR

Just courious how, or what proximety of the lines, I know right under them 35-40' But lets say how far away left or right of the lines, till their was no llonger any effect on the MD.

And what about the much harger power lines.,with up wards 186,000 volts, or something like that. what kind of distance would that effect a MD I'm no where near such large lines.

i dont know what runs through most residential areas in south fl but its not high tension stuff for sure. the high tension stuff that runs through nighbohoods here usually has abut a block wide clear path under it. no houses.

My main hunting spot has 2 powerlines overhead...
The DFX running hot with the stock coil goes crazy every once and awhile. I will turn it down a little to avoid the problem.. With the 14 inch DD coil it seems to settle down a bit...

However... I was digging a Quarter signal at 6 inches..I had visions of silver going through my head....
When I found a copper....Wire that is...... All 220 volts of it going though me...

I ain't been quite right since!

HH
ZoSo71

Ouch!!! and Thanks ZoSo71...was hoping to hear from someone with a DFX...thinking that's gonna be my next detector with some added extra coils for various situations.

How deep was that 220 line? Sounds like a residential line that a contractor didnt plant deep enough.
Al

I have noticed my Ace 250 acts a little odd right under power lines. I turned the sensitivity almost all the way down and it worked better. I know I lost some depth but I was thinking that if there was any large silver there it would still pick it up. I also have the power line that goes to my house buried and the Ace goes nuts over it. I hope you find a good solution to your problem. Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

I replaced the power line to my house, planted it 3 ft deep in pvc conduit and I can still pick it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back