Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 1723401007263126577163968791047.jpg
    1723401007263126577163968791047.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
Upvote 19
Nice pipe TH. What’s the story on it?
It was found in a creek on private land on the Missouri side of Mississippi River lttle north of St Louis in a creek that emptied into the Missouri River before it empties into the Mississippi River, north west of Cahokia Mounds about 2 to 3 miles.

I use to work in St Louis, but lived in Columbia MO, I would hunt a couple hours sometimes after work during the week on a couple creeks owned by friend's family who also hunted. On Fridays I stopped to hunt, the sand bars on Missouri river along side I-70 on way home, there was a couple places with access, and I hunted weekends in Mid Mo.

Tons of artifacts in that region, most likely there was a campsite along the creek and it fell in creek from erosion.

A lot of the creeks I hunted were stone bottom and very old creeks, they were many times 20 foot wide, but rarely deeper than about 12-16 inches except for holes or after heavy rain. I always hunted the creeks as soon as the flood waters receded.

That is one of the best artifacts I've even seen. Awesome find.
Thanks, I have no proof, but I believe there is a good chance it was associated with the Cohokia Mound culture due to the close proximity to the mounds.

Another one of my prize possessions, a 5 3/4" Wadlow blade found in St Louis area, previously part of Tony Bakuls collection, VP of f St Louis Archeological Society

1000008773.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1708054852657.jpg
    FB_IMG_1708054852657.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I'm not cool enough to find any hardstone or really much anything else besides tools and points so I'll post a few favorites of mine. I'll also post 2 pictures of the pottery anvil again that I found a few weeks back just because it's a rare find for me and probably my favorite for this year so far...
Pottery anvil is cool I wonder how they used it?

Man, I haven’t been able to visit these pages forever. Just getting out and about, I guess that’s good but I need a rest.

My prize find was this guy.

Sorry. No artefacts to show but we’ve found some never before petroglyphs this year and that’s pretty cool. Hopefully, I can post some pics within the next year.

I’m enjoying the thread…keep it coming. Awesome finds and items!

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
Pottery is rare in RI, very acidic soil. So, finding an intact shell tempered whatzit, (looks likemutates. Love the finger printsle whorl), seemed very improbable when I picked it up on a salt water estuary. Fingerprints are a cool touch….View attachment 2163907
Very cool. Love the finger prints. Never seen one like it. Possibly a wearable ornament?

Last edited:
I am actually new to this. As a child I loved digging and finding random things. Usually old medicine bottles, random stones with fossils or whatever. I’ve actually only been able to go look for artifacts in known areas just once. But recently I was given SO many by this older couple. Been trying to figure out the names or time periods on them. With very little luck. lol. These are some of my favorites.

Attachments

• IMG_0013 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0013 Copy.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Well, I have this now on 'What is it', where it is thought that this may be copper culture. If it is, not only is it my best native artifact, it is my only one. I mainly detect 18th and early 19th century colonial British sites here in Nova Scotia, so I am very intrigued by this and lave little knowledge on native artifacts. I would love to hear your thoughts.

IMG_2888.jpg

20240725_012533903_iOS.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back