Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

Attachments

• lead groat 004.jpg
    lead groat 004.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 482
Upvote 0
robfinds said:
Hello all, had this interesting find today. It's a lead disc stamped on one side with the impression of a medieval English medieval groat. I think it may be a medieval token or a gaming piece, or it could also be a weight. The diameter is 30mm.

Regards
Robert.
Or an attempt to pas it of as the real thing nice find Rob 8)

That is a very interesting item, never seen one before 8)

Whats on the other side?

I will get advice from a friend on this one.

Definately Medieval & probably a gaming token?

Just realised what it is.

Boy Bishop Token. Very Rare I will get further info.

CRUSADER said:

Should be worth a few bob that :o

Interesting find, I have heard of the Boy Bishop but that is all, I know nothing about it. HH, Mike

robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:

It looks too thick 2.41mm.
Robert
Rob have you got a picture of the reverce.

Re: Information on Token!

Steve in Michigan said:
Check out this site!

http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/peep-into-the-past/Token-gesture-for-the-festive.1217112.jp

Hope this helps explain the token.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan
Hello Steve , Thanks for the info but it's not a boy bishop token, its too big and only as detail on one side. It's one of those interesting finds that this wonderful hobby gives to us. Whats the weather like where you are, was in New York last Feb never known cold like it.
Robert.

This has stumped the expert but as you said its not a Boy Bishop token, which I realised when you PMed me that it was blank on the other side.

"Most interesting - it is difficult to tell from the photos, but are all the letters incuse? Some of the letters look backwards too. The few bits I can make out don't match any known boy bishop legends. My first reaction is that it's not a boy bishop - just wonder if it might be a coin weight?"

CRUSADER said:
This has stumped the expert but as you said its not a Boy Bishop token, which I realised when you PMed me that it was blank on the other side.

"Most interesting - it is difficult to tell from the photos, but are all the letters incuse? Some of the letters look backwards too. The few bits I can make out don't match any known boy bishop legends. My first reaction is that it's not a boy bishop - just wonder if it might be a coin weight?"

Could it be a lead impression of a Boy Bishop token? Just a guess..

P.S. As always thanks for the education.

NJ

N.J.THer said:
CRUSADER said:

Could it be a lead impression of a Boy Bishop token? Just a guess..

P.S. As always thanks for the education.

NJ

I don't think so, as it would be hard to take an impression of a lead token with lead.

This isn't an impression or it would be in reverse it is a gaming token to the value of the coin it represents

Hey Robert,

I am in Bay City, Michigan. If you look at the map of Michigan, I am approx. 130 miles North on I-75. Just past Saginaw, Michigan. We are getting snow right now as we speak. Its not to cold right now. About 31 degrees, but it plans on getting colder throughout the week. Usually February is the coldest where we will see temps near or below zero and wind chills in the negative range. I try and get out when I can just for a half hour, but sometimes the weather really sucks! LOL My wife and I want to go to England in the next couple of years for our Anniversary. I would have loved to taken her this year for our 20th, but I have two teenagers and they drain the money out of us, so we will have to wait a little longer. LOL

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Hi Steve, Got two of those myself know exactly what you mean. Been raining here very heavy today, possible flooding in some areas again.

All the best
Robert.

Hello Crusader, Yes all the letters are stamped and some may be backwards. The object is weakly stamped which dosn't help.

Robert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back