Lead Bullets from England

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
Found a large group of these on a local river all in one spot. About 30 of these including a sprue from the mould. Had a lot of early rounds over the years, but nothing like these. Length 1" and .50 cal weight 1oz. Help appreciated...

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 64
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 54
Reale Bill is correct on the ID. Tie ring Sharpe's carbine bullet. Those are really good bullets to find. I've dug several of them over the years, all at civil war sites.

Upvote 0
The book titled "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" by Jim and Dean Thomas says that particular version of .52 Sharps rifle bullet was officially called the "Old Model" bullet. It was manufactured in the 1850s and 1860s. Although that rifle is best known as the US Cavalry's primary longarm until it got replaced by the .52 Spencer repeating rifle in late-1863/early-1864, it was also sold to many-many civilians for use in hunting large game such as buffalo and deer. Consequently, many Sharps bullet-molds were also sold to civilians. Your find is "archeological" proof that some of those .52 Sharps rifles and bullet-molds made the trip across the Atlantic to England.

Upvote 0
The book titled "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" by Jim and Dean Thomas says that particular version of .52 Sharps rifle bullet was officially called the "Old Model" bullet. It was manufactured in the 1850s and 1860s. Although that rifle is best known as the US Cavalry's primary longarm until it got replaced by the .52 Spencer repeating rifle in late-1863/early-1864, it was also sold to many-many civilians for use in hunting large game such as buffalo and deer. Consequently, many Sharps bullet-molds were also sold to civilians. Your find is "archeological" proof that some of those .52 Sharps rifles and bullet-molds made the trip across the Atlantic to England.

Well let it be said, Let it be written Gosh I’ve missed you so much [emoji1317]

Upvote 0
That tells me exactly what I was after! I'm sure Army Officers took a Sharps to India & Africa. Quite how a group ended up in a pile on an estuary is another puzzle. Thanks very much indeed.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back