Laugh If You Want!

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
How Ya'll Are???

Hi from the newest forum member. I'm brand new to MDing and the forum, but it's something that I've had a kinda-sorta interest in for a long time.

So, here's the deal. I went to an auction about 3 weeks ago and bid $5 on a White's Treasure Master "Super Metal Detector", Model TM 65, SN 700-352, made 3/65 and ended up winning this sucker (no other bids!!)!! I managed to get batteries for it (a 67.5V and an old-style 9V) and jury-rigged a 1.5V C cell and lo and behold, it fired up! Then I went to whiteselectronics.com and lo and behold, there was a manual for it that I downloaded (thanks, whiteselectronics!). OK, I fired the thing up, then spent one afternoon MDing my back yard and front yard, finding only a bunch of wire buried. Then I took it out to a local park and found a whopping 11 cents!! :o Today I went to the local little league field and ended up with another 7 cents and a plumb bob!! It was a blast!!!!! All my coins have been recent ones. ;D So go ahead and laugh, folks....but the darn thing works...and works well!!!! ;D I think I've found a new hobby, one that leaves me nice and relaxed and that I can do with my 9 year old son. For $5 for the detector and another $50 in batteries, not a bad deal at all.

I live in Carlsbad, NM, so there's tons of history and old houses, ghost towns, etc out here. I haven't seen many MDers around, so maybe I'll have some virgin territory to work.

It's been great reading all the posts the last few days. So, "Hi everybody."

Upvote 0
WELCOME TX ;

No Laughing From Me.

Everyone Has got to Start Somewhere.

CONGRATS on Your First Finds, and

Glad To Have You aboard.

JEFF

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?You'll fit right in TX!!!!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Welcome to the forum and good luck to you!!!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Nana ?;)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Oh....and congrats on your finds!!!!

Ah, old detectors. Thats the best way to get started. You see how they used to be so when you upgrade to a new unit, you can appriciate how far the technology has come.

Welcome to the best MD forum on the net, no doubt. There is an incredible group of people here with an answer to any question you might have.

Good luck, enjoy, and we'll see ya around

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Used Whites metal detector: $5
Batteries for the detector: $50

Having a hobby to enjoy with your son: PRICELESS................ ;D

I started with an old Whites. No doubt a very good detector at any age. I hope that you use it well and decide to stick with it. Keep posting those finds and HH! Chris

TXK,

welcome to the forum. You are in a good area, hope you find a bunch.

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Welcome, and good luck with your detector.

Nice find besides the .18 cents. Never underestimate the older machines, you might just be suprised what they turn up. Congrats and HH.

Awww, thanks for the warm welcomes and encouragements, everyone. This seems like a great board!

And yep, going out with my son IS priceless. ;D

Great buy, and a very good place to start. If you spend a lot on a machine you want to know that it is a serious hobby and in your blood. My brother in RI bought a BH at a yard sale for 10 bucks and he hunts the dry sand, parking lots ect and he has found a lot of clad. Have fun with your new hobby. HH
Mchamby :)

Hello & Welcome to the forum, and the hobby...
Sounds like ya got a great deal. (11) cents is more than I find on somedays, so we'll leave that at that...
The important thing is it sounds like your having fun and spending some good quality time with your son...
I'm sure if, you seek, you will find...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D. sorry I had to laugh. Just finding the batteries is funny.

Great way to start and you got the Attitude right.

Welcome and Happy Hunting (HH)

Good deal on the old White's! You know what... if you're digging up treasures, then you got a working detector! That's all that matters!

Stick with it! And by all means, keep us posted!

Congrats and welcome!

you should never run out of supposed cache sites in your area....seems as if more is in new mexico than all other states combined,,,,,,,,,,,have fun. good luck.................gldhntr

Better start putting away some cash for another detector. My son and I started out with a "cheap" $300 detector. Soon after that we were convinced that we needed the top of the line $1000 version. After purchasing for a little over $900 the top of the line model, I had some doubt wether I had made a good purchase. But now I feel ever cent was worth it. A good thing to do is do some "tests" with your metal detector. Put a solid copper penny or a silver coin on the ground and slowly raise the detector as you sweep the coin. This will give you an idea of how deep you can go. Then try the same with the coin buried at different depths. Good luck in your new hoppy.

Bob

Welcome. No laughter from me! My first detector was a garage sale $15 Whites that I used for almost 5 years before getting a Garrett Ace 250. My son still uses the old Whites and has found tons of things with it.

Dudes

Sounds like a working detector to me. Welcome to the forum. Good luck and enjoy.

Hey TX, no one is going to laugh at you. We are all in this together. I am sure by now you are addicted and at some point in the future, you'll be buying another machine. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. It is one of the most relaxing ones you will find. Congrats...Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back