latest finds

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few finds from the last couple of weeks. Bought the cart at auction a couple of weeks ago. Was advertised as a railroad baggage handlers cart. Heavy and made of Oak its 30" wide and 76" long. It has two metal wheels covered in rubber about 9" in diameter. I've not been able to find anything like it online. Anyone else ever see something like this?I paid $80.00 for it.

The Morris chair which needs some work I paid $15 dollars for.

Also on the way back from visiting the folks in Tennessee I saw a flea market that was empty except for a single vender. Stopped in and saw a small pile of jewelry which the woman had priced at 50cents each. I didn't have my glasses on so I just picked 6 pieces that I thought might be ok. Paid the lady and tossed them in the console and drove on. Got home that night and thought I"d take a look. 4 necklaces, 2 bracelets. 1 necklace = silver 0.2 oz, 1 bracelet = silver 0.1 oz and one bracelet 14k gold with Jade elephants just under half oz. Took it to my jeweler and he said as scrap he'd give me $125 but that I shouldn't scrap it since its such a nice piece. no pics of it yet but I'll get some up soon.

Attachments

• baggage cart.jpg
    baggage cart.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 481
  • morris chair.jpg
    morris chair.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 227
That's called a duckbill tobacco cart used in the warehouse for moving bales around. I have personally used one back in the day.

Here is an old photo of a similar cart used when they used to tie the tobacco in what is referred to as a "hand" then stacked them in baskets.

tobacco cart.jpg

Here are photos of the two types of carts-

t1.jpgt2.jpg

btw- for $80 you got a decent deal. It's a nice conversation piece, looks like it has been refinished or at least well taken care of and cleaned up nice. Value is probably in the $200+ range to the right person.

Last edited:
Diggummup I had a feeling that if I posted pics of the cart that either you or CyberDan would know what it was. Thanks for the help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back