Last 2 camp digs. 1820 Draped Bust 10C.

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got my 1st Capped bust silver today while gridding uncovered ground and a fired star base.

image-2349439067.jpg

image-2636578550.jpg

image-1508235276.jpg

image-2273640529.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pepperj

This link might help explain the variety.

Holsonbake Numismatics - 1820 Capped Bust Dime 10c JR-12, R-7, PCGS VF35 #78-3

Are you just excited Frank or ! driving your point home. :) ?

Just like I said in the link "might help explain", because I try to be general (as in "might") as possible because so many get there shorts tied up in a frigging knot and it starts to slide from there, please remember one is trying to help and not to diminish the opinion of the other poster. Hope all is good.

No, I am not trying to diminish your' post or the O.P.'s find which I believe is totally awesome! I am just trying to be realistic and give the best opinion I can about the coin with my limited knowledge about the many Varieties for the Date.

Frank

Nice find! But please don't rub silver like that in the field. That puts scratches on it...permanent scratches.

Nice coin and great video. Too bad about the field cleaning/polishing.

Cheers,

Buck

Ya know, I'm going to circle back to this and say it should be on the banner! That coin is nice!!! Great video, too! :icon_thumright:
Thank you sir, but the video is sub-par at best. Let's see bad framing, wrong ID, and rubbing dirt off coin! I'd say that's a fail, but I'm still smiling...:laughing7:

Thank you sir, but the video is sub-par at best. Let's see bad framing, wrong ID, and rubbing dirt off coin! I'd say that's a fail, but I'm still smiling...:laughing7:

Don't feel bad as we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment and especially so, when being filmed! It's funny, when I know that I am being filmed, I tend to use a deep Southern draw and sometimes studder both of which I never have unless I am nervous and I also use a lot of "Uh's" at the beginning and middle of sentences. You would think that I am camera shy!:icon_scratch: LOL!!

Frank

You might be right but stars 12 and 13 don't appear to have enough separation to be a J-12, the "1" in 10c doesn't look to be doubled and I don't see a center dot on the Obverse!

Frank
I'm leaning towards it being JR-6.

I'm leaning towards it being JR-6.

I really don't know what to think! I am pretty sure that I have looked at pics of every Variety for this Date and cannot find a Die Marriage (the specific Obverse and Reverse Dies used on all known Varieties) that matches. As I stated before, if you can make contact with Larry Briggs and send him really good pics of the coin, he should be able to tell which Variety it is or steer you to the person who can.

If per chance, the coin is found to be a new and a previously unknown Variety, please post the information on here and PM me if you can. I may have missed something in my searching and viewing of the pics but if it does turn out to be a new Variety, then it will be the rarest of them all, will definitely get my Banner vote and should be more than worthy of a Banner!

Frank

Last edited:
I really don't know what to think! I am pretty sure that I have looked at pics of every Variety for this Date and cannot find a Die Marriage (the specific Obverse and Reverse Dies used on all known Varieties) that matches. As I stated before, if you can make contact with Larry Briggs and send him really good pics of the coin, he should be able to tell which Variety it is or steer you to the person who can.

If per chance, the coin is found to be a new and a previously unknown Variety, please post the information on here and PM me if you can. I may have missed something in my searching and viewing of the pics but if it does turn out to be a new Variety, then it will be the rarest of them all, will definitely get my Banner vote and should be more than worthy of a Banner!

Frank
Here's the 1st opinion I got. I'll try to contact Larry Briggs as well.

John,

I believe it is a JR-9 which in the earliest reference books is listed as
an R-4. Their are 4 varieties considered common, a JR-9 is in the next group considered somewhat scarce. The variety might add about 10-15% to the value from what I can see.

I would say the coin has XF details but of course it's been cleaned as it was in the ground for many decades. Considering that fact though it looks pretty decent.

I would value the coin at retail value in the $250-$325 range. Because of the environmental conditions the coin was in for a long period it will most likely take a few months to sell. I'd be a buyer in the $165-$200 range if the coin's overall appearance in hand is close to the photos.

Hope this was helpful and again congratulations on your cool find. I do some detecting once in awhile myself but haven't found anything nearly this cool. Especially in a civil war site area. That's awesome!

Gorgeous coin and a great find no matter how you slice it.

Frank

I sent Larry a inquiry.

Gorgeous coin and a great find no matter how you slice it.

Thank you sir. No matter what the outcome on the rarity I will always cherish it as one of my best finds.

So far the closest variety is the JR-7, but some stars seems to slightly aligned different.

Wow that silver coin is bad ass
. Now to watch the video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back