Last 2 camp digs. 1820 Draped Bust 10C.

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got my 1st Capped bust silver today while gridding uncovered ground and a fired star base.

image-2349439067.jpg

image-2636578550.jpg

image-1508235276.jpg

image-2273640529.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10
Here's the raw footage with wrong ID.

Wow you sure have yourself a great site there! Love that coin! :hello2:

What a heck of a nice score !

Loved the video, love that coin even more. Congrats on finding your oldest silver! There is something special about a capped bust coin.

Ya know, I'm going to circle back to this and say it should be on the banner! That coin is nice!!! Great video, too! :icon_thumright:

Congrats on finding a nice Capped Bust Dime! It appears to be a JR-1 Variety with "STATESOF AMERICA" where the Reverse Die from the 1814 Capped Bust "JR-5 Variety" was used in this Die Marriage. A good close-up would comfirm this!

Frank

huntsman53 said:
Congrats on finding a nice Capped Bust Dime! It appears to be a JR-1 Variety with "STATESOF AMERICA" where the Reverse Die from the 1814 Capped Bust "JR-5 Variety" was used in this Die Marriage. A good close-up would comfirm this!

Frank

Thanks Frank,
This is the best I can get.

image-1410546905.jpg

image-332170286.jpg

Thanks Frank,
This is the best I can get.

View attachment 839180

View attachment 839181

Correction:

It definitely appears similar to a JR-1 Variety but the separation between the "D" in UNITED and the "S" in STATES appears much less than on typical 1820 JR-1 Varieties and the 1814 JR-5 Varieties. Also, the separation between the last "S" in STATES and the "O" in OF seems to be slightly wider. I wonder if the coin was struck with a Reverse Die similar to the 1814 JR-5 Reverse Die but is as of yet, unknown? I have been away from Error and Variety Coins so long, that I no longer have any of my old contacts to inquire about this. There are quite a few experts in this field and you might contact some and send them pics of the coin to get their' opinions. In the meantime, I will check to see if I can come up with some contacts for you.

Frank

Last edited:
You might try to contact Larry Briggs of Larry Briggs Rare Coins at 423-718-1790 / 419-228-2285, tell him or the contact what you have and could you email Larry pics of the coin for his opinion.

Also, you can send a message through their' contact form at the link below.

Contact Us

I have known Larry for a lot of years and he is one of the foremost Experts of Bust and Seated Liberty Coinage.

Good luck!

Frank

huntsman53 said:
You might try to contact Larry Briggs of Larry Briggs Rare Coins at 423-718-1790 / 419-228-2285, tell him or the contact what you have and could you email Larry pics of the coin for his opinion.

Also, you can send a message through their' contact form at the link below.

Contact Us

I have known Larry for a lot of years and he is one of the foremost Experts of Bust and Seated Liberty Coinage.

Good luck!

Frank

Thanks so much Frank,
What do think is the best case scenario ?

Great video and the excitement of not knowing what you had dug. :)

I know it's always hard and very tempting not to wipe the dirt, a person is dry mouthed from swinging and not a gob of spit to found. I have a few buddies that carry a small screw capped container of distilled water around to soak the silver's dirt off for an ID.

Anyways great catch on the dime and a real beauty at that! Congrats again.

This link might help explain the variety.

Holsonbake Numismatics - 1820 Capped Bust Dime 10c JR-12, R-7, PCGS VF35 #78-3

Thanks so much Frank,
What do think is the best case scenario ?

I guess that it could be a unknown or extremely rare variety! The worse is that it could be a well known variety. In any case, if you can make contact with Larry, he can tell you. Be aware though, that Larry attends almost eery decent sized Coin Show across the country as he not only buy and sells Rare coins, he runs Sovereign Entities Grade Service and he also consults on authenticity of coins and varieties to most of the big money Coin Dealers and to the other TPG's (Third Party Grading Services). They would be lost without his' knowledge, experience and expertise! I would say that the best time to make contact with Larry would be Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (i.e. after a Coin Show and some down time and before he gets ready for another Coin Show).

Frank

Last edited:
If your's is the same - BANNER!

Great video and the excitement of not knowing what you had dug. :)

I know it's always hard and very tempting not to wipe the dirt, a person is dry mouthed from swinging and not a gob of spit to found. I have a few buddies that carry a small screw capped container of distilled water around to soak the silver's dirt off for an ID.

Anyways great catch on the dime and a real beauty at that! Congrats again.

You might be right but stars 12 and 13 don't appear to have enough separation to be a J-12, the "1" in 10c doesn't look to be doubled and I don't see a center dot on the Obverse!

Frank

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pepperj

You might be right but stars 12 and 13 don't appear to have enough separation to be a J-12, the "1" in 10c doesn't look to be doubled and I don't see a center dot on the Obverse!

Frank

Are you just excited Frank or ! driving your point home. :) ?

Just like I said in the link "might help explain", because I try to be general (as in "might") as possible because so many get there shorts tied up in a frigging knot and it starts to slide from there, please remember one is trying to help and not to diminish the opinion of the other poster. Hope all is good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back