Large, Thick, Silver Dollar Size Lead thing?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• CPLeadThing.jpg
    CPLeadThing.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 672
dugfinds said:
Trade weight

Well, we shall see what it comes out in weight, I would assume it would be a British pound measurement so if it is close to one their measurements, then I would agree that is a possibility, not a guarantee. :) You will notice the vast majority of the trade weights are lipped, this one is not.
Would be nice if it weighs a nice even amount like 1/2 pound.

If a trade weight, I would assume and age of between 1700 and very early 1800's? It was found very close to the dam breast of the mid 1700's saw mill site.

About a year ago I found this 2 dram apothecaries weight at a similar site.

Don

Attachments

• 2DramApothercariesWeight2.jpg
    2DramApothercariesWeight2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 379
Upvote 0
Anyone ever wonder why people used metal property markers that would be come lost in the soil....long before the invention of metal detectors? Just curious.

Upvote 0
TokenFinder said:
Anyone ever wonder why people used metal property markers that would be come lost in the soil....long before the invention of metal detectors? Just curious.

So that surveyors could make a living I suppose.

Here's a link with tons of them. None resemble the one listed here.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/gallery.aspx

If the one listed by Don was concave, I might suggest it to being a Freeze Plug. Eventhough, I've only seen them out of metal or brass.

Tony

Upvote 0
You all have it wrong!! >:( The CP stands for Canada Puck) ::) Does it weigh a pound? could be Certified Pound for a trade weight.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back