Large, Thick, Silver Dollar Size Lead thing?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While hunting with my son today, he found this large, very thick, round lead object with CP stamped on it, besides the circle rings on the same side. No sign whatsoever of any attachments ever being on the reverse side.

Ideas?

Don

Attachments

• CPLeadThing.jpg
    CPLeadThing.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 672
I don't know what the object is but I do know detectorest hands and fingers when I see them and those are just that digging in the dirt and rocks lol. And that is a good thing.

Upvote 0
diveguide said:
Were you close to a cemetery?
Not even remotely, close to a 1760 sawmill site

Upvote 0
gypsyheart said:
Is it one of those property markers?

I think they are made of brass, my son is sure it is lead. :)

Good guess though, I think :)

Upvote 0
Need gloves, don? I'll send you some! ;) 8)

Interesting large, thick, silver dollar-sized lead thingie.....looks like a marker of some kind.

Does that help? ::)

Upvote 0
Could it be a counter/scale weight? Weigh it to see if it corresponds roughly with a unit of measure such pounds or kilograms.

Upvote 0
dandan said:
PS whats around your finger in the pic?

The wedding band I found on the same hunt, in my today's find post. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Don-

In looking at your third photo, it appears that the edges seem beveled. Maybe this object was some type of lead insert piece in mortar or stone and the beveled edges kept it in place. As suggested, it could be some type of property marker with the surveyor's initials or a mason's private seal. . . just a thought.

Take care,
watercolor

Upvote 0
Look closely at edge,any sign of a wire?looks like a seal that would be used on railcar door to show cargo had not been tampered with in transit.
CP=Canadian Pacific??
HH,Mont

Upvote 0
watercolor said:
In looking at your third photo, it appears that the edges seem beveled. Maybe this object was some type of lead insert piece in mortar or stone and the beveled edges kept it in place. As suggested, it could be some type of property marker with the surveyor's initials or a mason's private seal. . . just a thought.

It is not beveled, just appears that way from the angle I shot the photo. It is lead for sure and not brass, and I do like the idea of a possible CP being Corner Property marker, will get the dimensions from my son and post later.

Thanks for all suggestions so far.

Don in South Jersey

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back