37.7 KB · Views: 570
  • Eagle1.jpg
    Eagle1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Eagle 2.jpg
    Eagle 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 405
Re: Large Eagle - Wood stove or clock piece

From some of the clocks, mantel etc,. I have seen in the past. I think that it may be part or the face of a patriotic mantel clock case. That is the first thing that jumped to mind. Clean it up and see if you can find a mechanism that will fit. It will look great.
DG

Upvote 0

dg39 said:
From some of the clocks, mantel etc,. I have seen in the past. I think that it may be part or the face of a patriotic mantel clock case. That is the first thing that jumped to mind. Clean it up and see if you can find a mechanism that will fit. It will look great.
DG

Thanks DG.
I'm going to clean it up as best I can.
Do you think it would look better in a dark grey cast iron paint, or in black?
-MM-

Upvote 0

It was probably painted some type of combonation of colors. I like fllat black with gold trim when I find something of that sort to restore. But it what you like best.
DG

Upvote 0

I think I'd like to go along with the wood stove guesser. They were quite elaborate in the early days. heres a pic. that's not much of a match but showes the round draft hole in the front plate on a fancy one. Nice find.

Attachments

• cast stove.jpg
    cast stove.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 572
Upvote 0

I also think most possibly a clock face... might have had a wooden or marble base...

very cool...

Upvote 0

I definately think clock face.... If it was for the stove, I reckon it would be bigger as in the picture on silverswede reply. The shape also suggests clock and not stove.
As for me, I would clean it up and get some pictures of the net for painting ideas, and put a nice ornate clock face in it.

Wish you all the best, that is a great find....

God bless
Peter

Upvote 0

Thanks everyone. When I dug it up, I thought it was a wood stove piece for sure, but now the clock face sound good too.
Either way, I will be fixing it up and putting a nice clock in it.
-MM-

Upvote 0

How about now?
Leave as-is natural, or paint it?
I just painted it with Stop Rust only.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 452
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 462
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 388
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 373
Upvote 0
ModernMiner, You see how nicely that clock fits in ;) I would look on the net and try and find some clocks to get an idea as to colours.... I think some gold in there somewhere would really set it off.

God bless
Peter

Upvote 0
It does look nice the way it is, but I think it would look better painted. I'm with pgill, go on the web and see if you can get some ideas on the color scheme. Nice job on getting all the rust off.

Upvote 0
Paint it ,man that thing looks nice.

Upvote 0
Hey MM, that is most certianly a cool piece. I would definately git it bead blasted(real fine) and then have a gun metal finnish applied to it. That way it will elimate the rust and give it color with very nice detail.A browning process would keep it's era and really look sweeeet.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back