Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the thermometer said 40, so out I went.. Hit an old farm and decided to start in on the vast fields around it. The frost was heavy and almost undiggable, had to hit the handle of my digger with some rocks to get thru the frost in some spots. Found these large cents, both near a stone wall in the field and both down about 6 inches, one is an 1825 and the other an 1844. Hopefully can get back there some this afternoon while the weather is fairly warm.

Attachments

• 11207LCs.JPG
    11207LCs.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 643
Upvote 0
One of these day's MD...One fo these day's!!....Very nice job.I can't wait,getting tired of those small cent's ;DNice Job!!

Wow, Maine, you won't see me outside MDing unless it's about 50 degrees or more here in PA. You just taught me one thing, I need to stiffen up, take the cold and get out there.

It sounds like you need to carry a blow torch as part of your detecting arsenal. :D
Congrats on the two Large Cents! I hope your afternoon was just as rewarding.
Stay warm and HH!

Congrats on two more Large Cents, I think Maine is one of the last frontiers for md hunting pressure, so get em while you can. :)

We do not get much if any frost heave in southern New Jersey, lol, fields and dirt/sandy roads are about the only areas here than normally will ever freeze up. The woods usually stay diggable all winter, depending on snow levels, if we get any at all. :) The leaf mulch acts as a nice insulator and usually only an inch or so will be frozen and that can easily be chopped through.

With our more moderate winters here in the "South" portion of the state, my main times of the year for hunting are late October through early April, with ticks and chiggers being the main concern for not hunting late April thru early October.................But, then there is always the ocean beaches during those months! :D

Don

Mainedigger said:
Ridley said:
Excellent find!

I hear the frost really moves coins and rocks around in the earth. If so, you could conceivably detect the same area again in the spring
and find more. ;)

Ridley

Ridley...the frost surely does just that...everyplace I hit this past year will be hit again come Spring and hopefully alot of the deeper coins were pushed up into range...:) Thats about the ONLY good thing I can say about winter...the frost is moving coins and other relics around and helping to make em easier to find the following Spring.

Great finds Main...I look forward to spring to see what net finds appear but this year have not even had frost in the ground yet...Its weird...

Anyway H.H. Good luck on that spot TnT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back