Lancaster Glassworks info needed

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
There are many Lancasters Throught the U.S. , you don't say if a particular state is mentioned. To Start : Lancaster Glass Works N.Y. 1849 - 1890 or 1908, no-one can say which definately. Some Firm Names used by them Include : Reed Shim & Co ; James & Gatchell ; James Glass Works ; Lancaster Cooperative Glass Works . I'll see what else I can find

Jeff,

The bottle doesnt have a state on it. It just says Lancaster Glass Works....in a semi-circle, then Full Pint across the bottom . Its a flask shaped bottle if that helps. When I get home I'll post a pic of it. Pop was just wondering what it might be worth. He did a Google search for the company but cant find anything like it.

OK, I did a search for you. but I couldn,t Import the web page for some reason. IF you can do a Yahoo search exactly like this : lancaster bottle works next scroll down to item #4 web site should start jeffnhol click on this site & scroll down to item #4919 click on and SEE FLASK <><> Another Site estimated a green Flask at $300 to $600 couldnt get that site to work here either SORRY, but on that one Yahoo lancaster bottleworks & scroll down to #6 hecklerauction site and see there second item

Those are close......but his isnt decorated with any designs like most of the historical flasks are. It just has the logo on it. I've looked everywhere in the last few hrs and cant find one like it. Wonder if it would be in any of the books(price guides)?

Heres a pic of it.............

Attachments

• Lancaster Glassworks.jpg
    Lancaster Glassworks.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 337
Thats a very good bottle and great find. . According to Mckearin's "America's bottles and flasks" its a GXV-11 which was blown at the Lancaster glass works in lancaster, NY. And rates as rare (20-35 spTherecimens known). The same bottle sold at auction in 1989 for $440. I would think it would be worth at least $600 to $700 in today market. Back in the 1970's, There were these 25 or page soft cover books about the history of History of Western New York. One of the volumes is about the Lockport and Lancaster glass works. Theres alot of them out there so you might be able to find one on ebay for a few bucks. I have one about these glass works that I picked up at a flea market for 50 cents.

Hope this helps.

Monte

Thanks for the info Buffalo. Im gonna have to keep an eye out for one of those books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back