Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PART 1 5/23/07

Hi all, I haven't been out much lately but I did get a chance to check out a nother private yard today for about an hour. The house it sits on was built in 1925..I was pressed for time, but it has potential based on what I found so far.

Today I recovered some toy cars (one is the Batmobile!), some modern coinage, a bullet, a Sunbeam name plate and a Knights of Pythias European War medal.

The person who lost it has his name engraved on it. I never heard of this fraternal order until today, and I'm in the beginning stages of finding out who this man was. The medal looks old.

MAY1-1.jpg

MAY4-1.jpg

MAY3-1.jpg

PART 2 5/24/07

Do you ever go to an old house expecting to find old coins but only come up with clad? What gives? I was able to get back to the old house again between jobs today and came up with 58 more coins - all modern except for one - 37 pennies, 11 quarters, 9 dimes and a nickel. The only old coin I came up with was a 1945-P wheatie. I did however find a few interesting relics...some toy cars, a toy jack, a saw handle of some kind (at first I thought I dug up a piece of an old Derringer!), a bullet casing, part of an old razor, a drawer knob, a cap gun hammer and a few tokens..one is a 1960's Mr. President Coin Game token from Shell, the other is a "NO CASH VALUE" token (I thought it was a V-nickel at first, but that's how it goes)and the other I really got a kick out of - it says, "HEADS I WIN" then "CCC" and "Cascarets ALWAYS WIN". Then in small letters it says "BEST FOR THE BOWELS" :D The flip side shows a little angel sitting on the pot..above it reads "TAILS YOU LOSE" and below says ALL GOING OUT - NOTHING COMING IN". I did some research and the coin (an antique) is an ad for a laxative!

Anyway the pics are below, still shaking my head about not finding any silver, but I really enjoyed the time I spent there.

VACANT7.jpg

VACANT6.jpg

VACANT5.jpg

VACANT4.jpg

VACANT3.jpg

VACANT1.jpg

VACANT2.jpg

Nat

Upvote 0
Re: Knights Of Pythias Medal

Great find, Nat! I found a listing for a Charles Vanstuddiford of Audrain, Missouri, believed to have been born about 1898. You might try following up on that. Also saw a listing for a somewhat older Charles Van Studdiford of St. Louis, MO.

That's awesome Nat...I love it when the thing's have the personal touch to them...Nice find and keep us posted if you can find anything out about the individual.....Good Luck and HH!!

That's a very nice war medal.

PBK said:
Great find, Nat! I found a listing for a Charles Vanstuddiford of Audrain, Missouri, believed to have been born about 1898. You might try following up on that. Also saw a listing for a somewhat older Charles Van Studdiford of St. Louis, MO.

Thanks for that information PBK! Can you direct me to that source? The house is located about 15 miles from the city of St. Louis, so it may be the second guy you mentioned.

Nat

Nice token for sure

HH Jer

Natman said:
Thanks for that information PBK! Can you direct me to that source?

Check your messages. ;)

Sweet token...my grandfater was a member of the Knight of Pythias way back in the 30's and 40's.

That's pretty cool!! Back in Springfield, there's a Pythian Castle right down the road from my college... Here's the link:
http://www.pythiancastle.com/
http://www.richgros.com/Springfield_History/Sites_HTML/PythianHome.html

Also... I believe that if I'm reading the last digit on the back of that coin right, this is the lodge's contact info:
http://www.missouripythians.org/Lodges/Fayette/Fayette.html

As stated on this next link for the Pythias' National web-page,
"Although there is no central registry of deceased members, if you are interested in genealogical information, please use the “Ask Us a Question” link, and we will do our best to direct you to someone who may be able to help."
http://www.pythias.org/index.htm

So you may want to start there in finding out whom that medal once belonged to! :)

Regards,
Bran <><

Interesting Medal........WTG on your finds!!!

55TXBANDIT

Love the medallion, way cool.
When you find out what the go is with it we'd love to hear.

godisnum1 said:
So you may want to start there in finding out whom that medal once belonged to!

Already done..thanks for the links and thanks everyone else for your interest and info..I'll keep you posted.

Nat

any time you find a batmobile its a good hunt that war medal is incedible and if you find the man or his family that would be fantastic congrats and hh

Nice finds, Nat! And some pocket change too!

Cool medal. Good luck in your search to find it's original owner.

Thanks for sharing.

civilman1 said:
That's awesome Nat...I love it when the thing's have the personal touch to them...Nice find and keep us posted if you can find anything out about the individual.....Good Luck and HH!!

Ditto! AND awesome research as usual, PBK! 8)

Congrats on those finds! Nana :)

Thanks for all the replies, those older yards sure do give up some neat stuff.

Eventually that medal will find its way back to the family, I'll keep y'all posted.

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back