KG II cracked dye ( any info ? )

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLabs (Explorer ) , Tesoro (DeLeon ) ,Garrett (AT Pro Gold)
I posted this with three other large coppers I found this past Sunday. After looking at one of the KG's i noticed what looks like a crack that corresponds on both sides. I am relatively new at detecting and am curious to know if this is a broken dye strike ? I shot these pictures to try to high light the defects. The crack runs thru the head of the woman on the reverse and below the head of KG . I would appreciate anyone's knowledge on this area ?

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 454
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 447
  • c3 (2).jpg
    c3 (2).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 454
Upvote 0
I think IP is the guy for this one.

hammered

hammered said:
I think IP is the guy for this one.

hammered Thanks , I'm just curious, maybe IP or Don ight have some input ?

Hard to say what happened to that copper, it is has seen a lot of wear, use and abuse. It does not seem to fit what a die crack struck coin would look like, more like it might have been a blundered planchet to begin with, whether it was made with a proper alloy mix or dirt got in with it when the planchet strips were made. I would blame the funky coin being from the planchet and not from being die struck.

The first colonial I ever found back in 1979 has a crack running through it, but looks like it happened from the bending of it. My copper is of normal weight 144 grains so it is most likely a regal and not sure if yours is a counterfeit or not, too much wear and no known weight, so if it were a counterfeit that would increase the chances of it being of inferior planchet material.

Consider it a nice addtion to your collection, since it is a tad different than a normal KGII. :wink:

Attaching a photo of my "cracked" KGII.

Don

Attachments

• 1740KGIINumeroUno.jpg
    1740KGIINumeroUno.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 266
Don in SJ said:
Hard to say what happened to that copper, it is has seen a lot of wear, use and abuse. It does not seem to fit what a die crack struck coin would look like, more like it might have been a blundered planchet to begin with, whether it was made with a proper alloy mix or dirt got in with it when the planchet strips were made. I would blame the funky coin being from the planchet and not from being die struck.

The first colonial I ever found back in 1979 has a crack running through it, but looks like it happened from the bending of it. My copper is of normal weight 144 grains so it is most likely a regal and not sure if yours is a counterfeit or not, too much wear and no known weight, so if it were a counterfeit that would increase the chances of it being of inferior planchet material.

Consider it a nice addtion to your collection, since it is a tad different than a normal KGII. :wink:

Thanks Don, These last finds were from a spot that has rich dark soil and all four coins were in poor condition. Most of the places I hunt here on the Vineyard are gravel/sand and the coins seem to survive better. I have not weighed the coin yet ? By the way congrads on the flowing hair !!!!!!!!

Attaching a photo of my "cracked" KGII.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back