Just Something I Found A While Back

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
I dug this up at a hill side camp a while back it was about a foot and a half down.
GroovedAxe035-1.jpg
I alsso dug this item that I don't have a ID on yet. I haven't figured out what it is.
Whatisit040.jpg
I also found this grrooved axe at the same campsite.
groovedaxe0482.jpg

Upvote 0
The were found about 90 miles south of Dallas. Do you have any idea what the item in the middle photo is. It is kind a of blunt point at the left end and has a rounded flattened end like a hammer head on the right end it does look like it might have been shaped by pecking. I have showed it to a good many people and I have not figured out if it is something, or just a odd shaped rock.

Here is another Mano it is round but the bottom side is very flat and and polished smooth from use that I found sitting on the same Metate it was also found at the same location. I have found six Manos and Metate's at this same location.
NagoyaType998thSeries096.jpg
I only took one photo of the odd relic rock thing, but I will take a couple more from different angles. As far as the axe goes they are not often found in this area of Texas usually 125-150 miles S/W of of here. This is the only grooved axe that I have ever found.

I find lots of broken bases and scrapers also 3-5 inch small stone knives, and flake knives with worked edges, dart points and arrowheads. The sight runs pretty deep we have dug three and a half to four feet and still find artifacts. Also several fire pits and three large ash pits. It look's like they were there a good while. Also a good many pottery sherds. Lots of broken bone and some cut bone and a assortment of animal teeth.

Nice digs. I was wondering what is the diffrence between Manos and Metate's Vs. Morters and Pestles? Just diffrent terminology from western and eastern cultures? Like one grinds corn another grinds nuts? We find them just like that but also with the nut stones.
Thanks that axe is very polished and fine as well.
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back