tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cat is going through some stressful situations this morning and shes not to be let outside. It's getting out of control in the back yard. If my old dog who died a year ago, Ollie sure would've kept the yard clear of these varmints. Bella whos approaching 16 yrs. just sits and opserves all the chaos going on right there 10 feet in front of her at her stage in life. They have decimated my carrots, sweet peas, green beans and two types of lettuce. They don't hit the cabbage, tomatoes, sweet corn, cumbers, peppers or cilantro, so thats good. I'll get a fence up after this season and another rabbit killer after Bella goes. Looks like I'll be looking into some Moroccan recipes on rabbits this fall. I was sitting out under my grape vines after a really nice rain last night and out in front of me I counted 4 of these little ones and 6 adults.

Attachments

• 20240627_063626.jpg
    20240627_063626.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240627_063653.jpg
    20240627_063653.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Cute is not the word. Long eared rats. We have hawks, eagles and bobcats eating them and I couldn't be happier about it. Damn things.
What happened to the foxes that were keeping them under control a decade or so ago? I'd much rather see a fox than a POS rabbit.

Cute is not the word. Long eared rats. We have hawks, eagles and bobcats eating them and I couldn't be happier about it. Damn things.
What happened to the foxes that were keeping them under control a decade or so ago? I'd much rather see a fox than a POS rabbit.
Yes, they are pretty nasty critters wreaking havoc in the world. What did happen to those silly foxes? Maybe the bunnies took them out?
Screenshot_20240627-131350_Google.jpg

Yes the bunny population has a way of exploding if they're not kept in check.
The fox and the coyote seem to balance the population around us.

Yes the bunny population has a way of exploding if they're not kept in check.
The fox and the coyote seem to balance the population around us.
I don't know why the hawks aren't going after them. They're got plenty of perches to scoope out the yard

Last edited:
Eagles it would seem like an easy for them.
There's been some eagles around. I think they're all getting pretty full, because it's not just my yard with rabbits. They're everywhere and all over town this year. There's been two or three great horned owls also I hear hooting to one another before the sun rises. Coyotes have been rarely seen this year I've noticed. Maybe year 2023 had something to do with it.

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 6
I saw these two dining on prairie dog, which we have plenty of around. This Colorado front range I25 corridor is a birds of prey paradise. I think the one hawk ripping that prairie dog to shreds was trying to shield his dinner with its wings to keep from letting anyone else have any.

Attachments

• walk 102319 1.jpg
    walk 102319 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
When we moved here in 1990, our next-door neighbor had large garden. He'd come out every morning and pop some bunny with his .22, and chuck the carcass into brush for the scavengers.

Fast-forward a year,, and I was out back in the woods, plinking plastic nazis with my .22. As I sat resting on a stump, a red fox appeared out of the brush--looking around excitedly.

I figured out that this fox had been dining on the neighbor's rabbits, and the .22 was his dinner bell!

Unfortunately, it was also the fox's undoing. Another neighbor (down the road) figured it out, and lured the fox in with his .22 before plugging it for its pelt. 😠

It'll be different for everyone, but the deer have always done more damage to our gardens than the rabbits. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back