Just a few relics today

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first real hunt in a few weeks and even though it was a short hunt, I was satisfied just to "get out". No coins or buttons but this site which appears to have been the main house at an old gristmill was evidently standing until about 1942. So artifacts found there can range widely in time.

The 50 cal casings are leftovers from the WW2 nearby gunnery range of P47's. I hate them, they read and sound just like a deep large cent or colonial copper. The buckles are farm related and my favorite find of the day was the bell.

The wire was still attached to the bell, so I knew right away it was not a more modern bell used by dogs, and that it appears to have been a bell mounted near a door to strike it when opening and closing.

INDIA is crudely inscribed on the bell, which is very crudely made. I tried to find information on this bell, and it appears to perhaps be what they call a Camel Bell. I have no evidence to date it by, but assume it is late 1800's to early 1900's. Any information on this type of bell would be appreciated. I love finding any of the old bells, regardless of type.

Overall, I was happy with getting out, it would have been nice to get an old coin or two or a nice old button, but perhaps on my next hunt there something will show up. :)

Don

Attachments

• Blane2.jpg
    Blane2.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 405
  • Blanefinds1.jpg
    Blanefinds1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 413
  • Blanebell1.jpg
    Blanebell1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Blanebell3.jpg
    Blanebell3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 417
  • Blanebell4.jpg
    Blanebell4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0
Nice to see you got out Don i hope you feel better.

Looks like a bell that may have been attached to the collar of a bird dog or a goat. I wouldn't think it to be to old or the wire holding the clapper would be rusted away. The wire the bell is on looks like a shower curtain hanger.
Neat finds,
TC

The wire holding the clapper IS just about ready to fall apart, and the wire is copper which is what was attached to the bell in the ground, so it was definetly not being used for a goat or a dog or even a pet skunk. ::)
I do have several bells that have been used and on dogs and they are entirely different and not hand made like this one.

Don

Super looking bell Don, it looks like you've found a really good place to detect. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures ---- good luck on your return visit.

HH/NS

Nice finds Don! Those brass ammo casings are a pain in the butt, I detect around the military posts often and they are ever prevelent. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back