Garrett AT Max

Attachments

• Jim Brewer token front r.jpg
    Jim Brewer token front r.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Jim Brewer token reverse r.jpg
    Jim Brewer token reverse r.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 43
He appeared in the 1973 All-Star game and in 1960 he made the American Association All-Star team before the Cubs called him up in July 1960.

Maybe a commemorative or collectable token for one of those occasions.

Upvote 1
The logo style (photo 1), round head & sweeping lines, was used in the late 1970s frequently. For that reason I’d guess this may have been an honorary thing after his untimely death. Possibly his family gave the rights to use his name. If the logo style was used earlier, then possibly it precedes his death.

Upvote 1
I know zilch about baseball but the tiny letters below the stylised batter logo read “RWM”, which is for the “Roger Williams Mint” of Attleboro, Massachusetts. They were major producers of tokens, medals and commemoratives until 2006 when they were purchased by “Osborne Coinage” of Cincinnati, Ohio. They then traded for a short time under the “Tokens Direct” division of Osborne before being fully absorbed.

Company history as “RWM” prior to the acquisition is a bit thin on the ground and ‘Numista’ only gives their date of operation as “?-2006”. Their former website has been archived. I couldn’t find anything helpful in the archive but “Osborne Coinage” still exists. You might try contacting them to see if they have anything helpful to say:

Upvote 3
Thanks for the posts and info. I had previously found the bio summary on Jim Brewer, but had not tracked down and read the more complete bio on him.

It turns out he lived in Broken Arrow when a preschooler in the early 40's and later moved back to the Tulsa, OK area. I found this token in the soccer playing field behind Sequoya Middle school in Broken Arrow, OK. Later in his life he was involved in training pitchers up to the early 80's.

So now, I am even more curious about the token. Did he arrange to have these tokens minted to give to attendees of a pitching camp? Might he have held such a camp at this site? My guess is it is probably fairly rare.

Upvote 0
I found an article from 1986 discussing the opening of the Jim Brewer All-Star Baseball Academy in Tulsa and will copy it here so you can have the background. This business was advertised for the next few years and I saw talk about expanding to other states etc. but the latest ad I found is from 1991 and I haven't looked any closer to see if there is mention of what happened to the business.

Attachments

• JimBrewer.jpg
    JimBrewer.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 4
Bramblefind,

Thank you for posting that article! It never ceases to amaze me how others find or are aware of info that I don't come up with on my google searches. Brewer died in 1987 in a car accident at age 50. It would appear that the token dates to 1986 to 1991.

Upvote 1
Yesterday, I found this Jim Brewer All-Star Baseball Academy token. I am attaching front and rear photos. Obviously, I know what it is, but I can't seem to locate any information about it - age? potential value?

Any help appreciated.
Jim Brewer all stars was a baseball academy located behind memorial cemetary. They had baseball camps and private lessons for little league to high school players. I went to the academy from 3rd grade up until highschool and worked as a summer camp instructor after they moved to 61st near mingo added a soccer field and mini golf course and renamed it All Stars sports complex. The original academy as well as the new sports complex had softball and baseball batting cages what youve found is a batting cage token from the original location..You would get 6 tokens for a dollar and each round in the cage was 2 tokens...

Last edited:
Upvote 4
I found an article from 1986 discussing the opening of the Jim Brewer All-Star Baseball Academy in Tulsa and will copy it here so you can have the background. This business was advertised for the next few years and I saw talk about expanding to other states etc. but the latest ad I found is from 1991 and I haven't looked any closer to see if there is mention of what happened to the business.
The man in picture is terry henshaw he was a catcher for reds and he ran the academy after Jims death. He was my instructor and later my boss at the academy great guy.. they moved the academy to 61st street around mingo in mid to late 90s added a mini golf course based on gilligans island and soccer fields and renamed it All stars sports complex..far as i know its still there...

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Jim Brewer all stars was a baseball academy located behind memorial cemetary. They had baseball camps and private lessons for little league to high school players. I went to the academy from 3rd grade up until highschool and worked as a summer camp instructor after they moved to 61st near mingo added a soccer field and mini golf course and renamed it All Stars sports complex. The original academy as well as the new sports complex had softball and baseball batting cages what youve found is a batting cage token from the original location..You would get 6 tokens for a dollar and each round in the cage was 2 tokens...
Thank you for posting this informative info!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back