Italy artillery position finds

SKY 6

Greenie
Feb 5, 2022
Went today to a Italian position located in Varkiza, Greece. I found some .303 british unfired cases days ago and today I actually found some very nice finds also some unknowns (for me) there again so I hoped to share with you. (The bests are at the end 😉)
Starting with a after war coin from 1966↓
IMG_8002.JPGIMG_8004.JPG
Some fragements posibly from Mk2 Grenade↓ Can anyone identify the middle one? It looks like a part from some fuse.
IMG_8007.JPG
Some bullet jackets↓
IMG_8006.JPG
Then we have some american .30-03 Springfield projectiles↓
IMG_8005.JPG
.30-30 Springfield stripper clips↓ Any good ideas about cleaning the steel rust? Or I'm gonna thrpw them away...
IMG_8008.JPG
One artillery primer↓ I've posted it also at the IAA forum hoping someone can identify it.
IMG_7989.JPGIMG_7995.JPGIMG_8001.JPG
And I also found a LIVE Mk2 grenade! Unfortunately I think that it's to dangerous to take it so I just took some pictures and called the police.
IMG_7984.JPG

Actually I was surprised finding traces of the US Army in Greece, because I always thought that only Brittish army came to Greece to fight the axis powers.
The other thing that surprises me is that I can find war relics at Varkiza because I never found any informations that there was some fight at this area. Maybe there is anyone in this forum has information for any war at Varkiza or Vari?

Upvote 9
And I also found a LIVE Mk2 grenade! Unfortunately I think that it's to dangerous to take it so I just took some pictures and called the police.
Well you know what they say... "Take only pictures, leave only grenades,"

The US did provide arms and munitions to the British. It could be the American munitions were actually being used by the British at that time.

Went today to a Italian position located in Varkiza, Greece. I found some .303 british unfired cases days ago and today I actually found some very nice finds also some unknowns (for me) there again so I hoped to share with you. (The bests are at the end 😉)
Starting with a after war coin from 1966↓
View attachment 2098366View attachment 2098367
Some fragements posibly from Mk2 Grenade↓ Can anyone identify the middle one? It looks like a part from some fuse.
View attachment 2098370
Some bullet jackets↓
View attachment 2098369
Then we have some american .30-03 Springfield projectiles↓
View attachment 2098368
.30-30 Springfield stripper clips↓ Any good ideas about cleaning the steel rust? Or I'm gonna thrpw them away...
View attachment 2098371
One artillery primer↓ I've posted it also at the IAA forum hoping someone can identify it.
View attachment 2098363View attachment 2098364View attachment 2098365
View attachment 2098373

Actually I was surprised finding traces of the US Army in Greece, because I always thought that only Brittish army came to Greece to fight the axis powers.
The other thing that surprises me is that I can find war relics at Varkiza because I never found any informations that there was some fight at this area. Maybe there is anyone in this forum has information for any war at Varkiza or Vari?
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!! Good call on the grenade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back