Jun 30, 2024

Attachments

• 20240630_204557.jpg
    20240630_204557.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 42
  • 20240630_204552.jpg
    20240630_204552.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Yep ! If St George Silver is real ,and not plate, it's Worth Spot Price + a premium

I have found that if a spoon (or whatever) isn’t marked specifically with the word “sterling” that it is plate, there are definitely a few exceptions but I would guess that it’s plate. Take it to a jeweler.

I have found that if a spoon (or whatever) isn’t marked specifically with the word “sterling” that it is plate, there are definitely a few exceptions but I would guess that it’s plate. Take it to a jeweler.

Yes, that's a good rule of thumb, but since the OP believes the spoons to be 'very old', they could be coin silver (nominal 900 fine rather than 935). I have seen coin silver marked just as 'silver' as well as 'coin silver', 'CS', or not marked at all.

The word could be part of the manufacturer name or a brand/pattern rather than an indication of metal content, but I've never heard of it if so. Reed & Barton produced a pattern called "St. George", but it doesn't look like that.

Its very old, from my grandma. I have only 4. Can you please tell me where can I sell them
They belonged to your Grandmother but that really is hard to define for how old they actually are.
What I mean a Grandmother could have been born in 1890s or 1950s.

I’d call it an Oar pattern or possibly a Fiddle pattern. I’d guess early 1900’s and most likely pre-WWI.
As to silver content, I have no clue.
I’d guess well below sterling grade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back