Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a place I have found early 1700's coins and artifacts I found a little copper ring, I looked at it, just a piece of garbage off of some 1930's engine and threw it in my junk pouch. I went to another place, 20 miles away and found another, I though, "This is just a farming town, just more modern 1930's junk" and threw it in the junk pouch, I ended up finding another on at another site too a couple months later.

Today I was going through a box of November/December junk finds and pulled this out to look at along with more junk which I may ask about later. I saw one of the three rings I found and noticed that the patina on it was really old, like something I would expect on a colonial copper, and there were some imperfections. it ended up fitting on one of my fingers (the little one) and I took it off and looked up a few things on google. When I looked up Native American Trade Copper I saw similar stuff, then when I looked up Native American Trade Copper Ring I saw stuff almost identical. Is this what it is??? If so it could be a really good find, thanks for any info.
Is it a Trade Ring or a part of a 1930's engine???? I'm guessing that you will say engine and I got my hopes up for nothing, but there is a tiny window of hope.

(T27) Old Historical Wiscinsin Copper Ring Native American Indian Artifact Trade ,Evansville, Indiana, United States ,FVStore.com

20150217_142849.jpg20150217_142858.jpg20150217_143015.jpg

Well l l l l . . . It may or may not be a trade copper ring - but that site you list doesn't fill me with confidence if that is the only source that trade copper rings did, in fact, exist. But I did find a site that lists a copper harness ring found in (or by someone from) Canada - so you may be on to something. Dimensions would help.

rb8.jpg

It may also be part of the bail handle from a copper kettle.

$_35.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A little under 2 cm in diameter, or 3/4"

I have photos of size coming in, the same diameter as a 20 Ga. Shotgun shell (the only thing I had for size because my junk find container was full of them). Fits on my ring finger and my index finger pretty tightly.

I have photos coming
Thanks,

Upvote 0
coinman,

If memory serves me correctly the fur trade rings were only worn beyond the first knuckle which explains why so many of them were lost....

Regards + HH

Bill

Upvote 0
Looks like a spark plug gasket.

That is what I though but the inside of it is not what I would expect for a sparkplug gasket. It does not have the right inside for that, sparkplug gaskets are more flat, my find is round but that is a possibily

Upvote 0
I think it might be a brass part to a old knapsack.001.JPGbut I am not certain.

Upvote 0
What is weird about it is how uneven it is, as you can see, one side is thicker than another, the whole thing has a "Handmade" crude feel. It does not seem machine made, I'm guessing that it may be fairly old, at least 1800's, the site where I found it is from the 1720's.

Here is another photo with a random coin I had lying around, the coin is the same size as a penny.
IMG_20150217_184944.jpg

Upvote 0
I see what you mean.I didn't realize it was that small

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back