IMG_1291.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1294.jpeg
    IMG_1294.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Not a coin guy, but for being hundred plus years old it's in good shape.

Thread moved to coins forum

You're asking if a 1922 peace dollar is very rare?
I would say no; it's the most common date of peace dollar, and the highest mintage of any silver dollar.

According to the NGC Price Guide, as of June 2024, a Peace Dollar from 1922 in circulated condition is worth between $35.50 and $44.50.

Looks like a Crack through the 9 to me,
If it is a Crack from the Mint it may be worth More :dontknow:
not sure on the doubling ? Looks like it on the 1.

the more I look the More Doubling I See 8-)

Only one way to be sure.
Send it in for Professional Confirmation.
DON'T TRUST A DEALER :coffee2:

Last edited:
One thing you have to remember, there are several types of doubling. There is hub doubling, doubled die, double struck, die deterioration doubling, machine doubling, among others. Machine doubling and die deterioration are the most common forms of doubling and add no value. This coin exhibits machine doubling.

One thing you have to remember, there are several types of doubling. There is hub doubling, doubled die, double struck, die deterioration doubling, machine doubling, among others. Machine doubling and die deterioration are the most common forms of doubling and add no value. This coin exhibits machine doubling.
Wow! I did not know that!

Then there's double or nothing, doubling down, double dribble and double trouble.

Then there is Double Bubble, Double Jeopardy, double barrel, double wedding, double axel, and just plain seeing double. Don't know much about silver coins, especially how to find them lately, but do the 9 and the bottom of the point of the neck always merge?

Then there is Double Bubble, Double Jeopardy, double barrel, double wedding, double axel, and just plain seeing double. Don't know much about silver coins, especially how to find them lately, but do the 9 and the bottom of the point of the neck always merge?
Yep, that's part of the design.

Nothing to do with it but why did they use a V instead of a U? Space yeah I get but why didn't they narrow the neck a touch to fit it! Other side the U's are U. At first glance looking I thought the V was the issue!

Nothing to do with it but why did they use a V instead of a U? Space yeah I get but why didn't they narrow the neck a touch to fit it! Other side the U's are U. At first glance looking I thought the V was the issue!

From 'coinsite.com':

In Latin, there is no “U”. “V” is the Latin equivalent of the English “U”. So, the legend appears as IN GOD WE TRVST. This is a stylistic consideration, not a Mint error.
This is one of the most frequently asked questions about United States coins. All Peace Dollars (1921-1935) use the Deco stylized Roman “V” (U) which looks like the English “V”. This was a common style of the time and can be found on buildings as well as coins.

Nothing to do with it but why did they use a V instead of a U?
AFAIK, tradition. There's no "U" in the Latin/Roman alphabet. IDK why they didn't follow through on the reverse, especially since that's where the only Latin phrase appears on the coin. :dontknow:

Maybe Vnited States of America looked too much like an error(?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back