Aug 20, 2007
Bluffdale, UT.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher F2, Vibra Probe

Attachments

• DSCN3309 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3309 (Small).JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 524
show the "flip side" -- normally silver has 925 or other markings -- it looks kinda gold toned to me -- the J5 might be a makers mark -- looks nice anyways -- Ivan

Upvote 0
I posted the same pic on another forum and a guy told me that "J5 is an English hallmark and stands for the same as .925"

Not bad for keeping my eyes open at the Fair

Upvote 0
so english made 925 with a "red" stone -- ruby or garnet ooks like -- nice "eyeball" find.

Upvote 0
turnerscc said:
I posted the same pic on another forum and a guy told me that "J5 is an English hallmark and stands for the same as .925"

Not bad for keeping my eyes open at the Fair

Its not an English (British) hallmark in my book?? Not saying it not silver thou, looks it.

Upvote 0
yes J5 is a ring size* 5mm but its plain to see that its not a ring --- so hallmark or makers mark of some kind is my guess -- it does have a nice tone and on first look seems to be a "quality item" not a junk type item -- Ivan

Upvote 0
I think what you have is a 1950's + Piece of Costume jewelry as sold at Kress or Morgan & Lindsey. Probably hung around a little girls neck at one time till she lost it. J5 is just a manufacturing mark.
Could be silver but probably a base metal that has been plated.... Still nice find!
DG

Upvote 0
probably silver, probably garnet. for that size neither is worth much.

A tell tale sign to look for is the stone, if it is "set" i.e. the metal is worked over the stone or moved over the stone its a preciouses metal. If its just glued in, its crap/pot metal etc. Has to do with mass producing the things, glue is cheap, setting costs a little. Even today a piece like that may cost 50 cents in silver with a 5 cent stone and someone is paid 25cents to set it.

Now the other thing to possibly keep in mind. And I cant tell, is the jump ring on the top solid or is there a cut in it where it is bent? ie can you take it off with out cutting it.

If the jump ring on the top is solid, and the detail on the piece witch is present may mean that it is white gold. Again, no reason to solder the jump ring if its silver but white gold typically is in the manufacturing process.
And if so it could be a small ruby, or a garnet, either way. even if white gold witch small pendants and the like are often not hallmarked, something I am guilty of myself when its just too small to stamp. can still be gold.
best way would be to test it. If you can tarnish it, its silver, if not, its white gold. otherwise if you can take it somewhere to be tested they can tell you. either way its worth nothing, maybe a dollar if silver, or maybe 7 if gold!

Good luck.

Upvote 0
It looks like some of the silver finds I’ve found, but I’m only judging by the bail and design.

Upvote 0
try scanning it with your machine and see where it rings in at. its a nice find either way.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back