usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20190217_215841401_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190217_215614498.jpg
Probably not, I know there super rare but it's closest resemblance I have found to date..

Upvote 0
Hard to tell from those pics ... close ups of both sides of the point will help especially the base . Is it fluted on the reverse side ? If not Clovis I would think still pretty close in time period. Nice find [emoji106]

IMG_20190217_220901247.jpg
Here it is next to this lil beat up Dalton, probably just another Dalton, found separate times but within 25 yards of each other

Hard to tell from those pics ... close ups of both sides of the point will help especially the base . Is it fluted on the reverse side ? If not Clovis I would think still pretty close in time period. Nice find [emoji106]

its not beveled like pretty much every other piece i find in there, I got finger nail sized bird point i posted last week out same 20 or so yard stretch

It looks old, but I don't think it's a Clovis. Very well could be older than Dalton, or just an early stage one before it was resharpened.

Thanks josh

Is this Clovis?

Probably not, I know there super rare but it's closest resemblance I have found to date..

As others have said, it’s hard to tell from the images. I’m not sure what I am seeing in your last image but it’s possible that your point is a Clovis that has seen some hard use and the reworking/resharpening has intruded into what remains of a flute scar.

Attachments

• ClovisPt.jpg
    ClovisPt.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
It's not a Clovis point.

It does not look like a clovis to me either. You don't mention if there is any basal grinding, or the sides are ground.

The flaking looks like to me a later period.

There was a good reference posted here a while back titled "stone tools of Minnesota"

Page 114 has a decent description:
"The time and care that went into making a projectile point varies from time period to time period. It isa surprising fact to many that it is the earlier, rather than the later points, that tend to exhibit the most
refined workmanship."

That said, virtually every clovis (3) I have found or others I have in my collection (4) are very well made with a lenticular fluted cross section. The flaking exhibited a well defined percussion flaking with pressure flaking edge retouching.

If you are finding dalton period relics, its more likely from that time period, a transitional early archaic point.

But my standard caveat: Its virtually impossible to identify a relic type and or authentication from a photo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back