IMG_5425.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5434.jpeg
    IMG_5434.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
You mean cavalry? I'd say rifle. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Nathan, your find is a civil war era US Spencer .52-caliber Repeating Rifle bullet. It had a brass cartridge. Being a cartridge-using Repeater, it was used primarily (but not exclusively) by cavalry, because it is far easier to reload during combat on horseback than a muzzle-loader. I can't quite be sure from your photos whether the Spencer slug you found has been fired or not.

Very often when we civil war relic diggers are fortunate enough to find an unfired Spencer cartridge, we discover to our dismay that the thin brass cartridge-casing had gotten partly or completely corroded to bits long ago. Or, it crumbles to bits when we try to dig it out of the ground. See the photos below.

Attachments

• bullet_Spencer52_no-casing_photobyHenrique_134-1.jpg
    bullet_Spencer52_no-casing_photobyHenrique_134-1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 25
  • cartridge_Spencer52caliber-rifle_.56-56_dug_sideview_photobyhenrique_17-1.jpg
    cartridge_Spencer52caliber-rifle_.56-56_dug_sideview_photobyhenrique_17-1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 6
Nathan, your find is a civil war era US Spencer .52-caliber Repeating Rifle bullet. It had a brass cartridge. Being a cartridge-using Repeater, it was used primarily (but not exclusively) by cavalry, because it is far easier to reload during combat on horseback than a muzzle-loader. I can't quite be sure from your photos whether the Spencer slug you found has been fired or not.

Very often when we civil war relic diggers are fortunate enough to find an unfired Spencer cartridge, we discover to our dismay that the thin brass cartridge-casing had gotten partly or completely corroded to bits long ago. Or, it crumbles to bits when we try to dig it out of the ground. See the photos below.
Thanks cannonballguy, I was hoping you would put your two cents worth in

Upvote 2
Here are some of the spencer ctgs. I have found Here in Colorado, both loaded and empty
Photo also shows a couple 44 Henrys. Never seen a brass case on any, all copper

Attachments

• IMG_1881.jpg
    IMG_1881.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 2

Here is some base views to see if shot or not , I’m thinking of going back and combing the area to west of there were it was found

Attachments

• IMG_5461.jpeg
    IMG_5461.jpeg
    991.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5463.jpeg
    IMG_5463.jpeg
    996.6 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back