Is this American Cut glass or waterford?

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Cabella's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1141.JPGDSCN1142.JPGDSCN1117.JPGDSCN1118.JPGDSCN1119.JPGDSCN1120.JPGDSCN1121.JPGDSCN1122.JPGDSCN1123.JPG
7 inches across, and foot to top is a little over 4 inches

Definitely not Waterford. I think that stuff comes from Poland or maybe even China and I don't believe it's all that old. I've seen it here and there and it's molded with deep cuts and enhanced with that fine cross-hatching on the flat's. The legs have kind of a look of some Steuben. It's not a high value piece imo. Ever the old brilliant cut glass is becoming less desirable to today's collectors, but I'll still buy it if the price is right. Collectors today it seems want color over clear glass these days from what I gather.

Upvote 0
I took Mom to visit the Waterford factory in (of all places...) Waterford, Ireland.
They offer a tour where you can watch the artisans create various pieces, from the furnace all the way to the showroom floor.
It's really pretty amazing, and I would recommend a visit if you're ever in the area. (It really is all done by hand!)

Be aware though: Only certain products are available for purchase that are actually made in Waterford.
Much of what they do in this particular shop seems to be custom work for various clients, not for retail sale.
Mom was a little unhappy that some small candy dishes she purchased were marked "Made in Slovenia" when the package arrived in the USA.
I guess she just assumed that because they were on display in the showroom they were made in Ireland.

Not that it mattered to me... (the good child I am, I picked up the tab for the vacation, but Mom got to spend our "inheritance".) :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back