Is this a toy or... a percussion cap boot pistol? (its real!)

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this a toy or... a percussion cap boot pistol? (it's real!)

When I first unearthed this thing, I was surprised at how heavy a toy gun could be. After I got all the dirt out of the barrel and other crevices I started thinking it was an actual gun.
boot-pistol-01.jpg

My observations :
  • I would imagine that wood would have been secured to the handle, judging by the empty space and the pin/screw hole.
  • It's heavy. I am not sure what kind of metal it is, but it's all one piece.
  • No markings of any kind.
  • It was found in the same field with early 1800's military buttons and colonial coppers.
  • Barrel is straight, bore is not rifled.
  • There are tiny holes with metal pins (rusty clumps) in them. There are 3, but 4 if you count the one on the handle. One is near trigger area, other 2 are where the hammer would have been.
  • Where the hammer should be is a rusty clump of metal. The same goes for the trigger area.
  • The hammer hole is threaded, and in the back is a pinhole leading to the barrel.

boot-pistol-02.jpg

So it's probably a gun, but the burning question is, what kind? How old? Anyone ever see/find one similar? Found in NJ, FYI.

boot-pistol-03.jpg

Re: Is this a toy or... a percussion cap boot pistol? (it's real!)

that is a awesome find, that pistol is probably one of a kind back then making the same gun the same everytime was probably pretty hard to do.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back