Is this a toy or... a percussion cap boot pistol? (its real!)

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this a toy or... a percussion cap boot pistol? (it's real!)

When I first unearthed this thing, I was surprised at how heavy a toy gun could be. After I got all the dirt out of the barrel and other crevices I started thinking it was an actual gun.
boot-pistol-01.jpg

My observations :
  • I would imagine that wood would have been secured to the handle, judging by the empty space and the pin/screw hole.
  • It's heavy. I am not sure what kind of metal it is, but it's all one piece.
  • No markings of any kind.
  • It was found in the same field with early 1800's military buttons and colonial coppers.
  • Barrel is straight, bore is not rifled.
  • There are tiny holes with metal pins (rusty clumps) in them. There are 3, but 4 if you count the one on the handle. One is near trigger area, other 2 are where the hammer would have been.
  • Where the hammer should be is a rusty clump of metal. The same goes for the trigger area.
  • The hammer hole is threaded, and in the back is a pinhole leading to the barrel.

boot-pistol-02.jpg

So it's probably a gun, but the burning question is, what kind? How old? Anyone ever see/find one similar? Found in NJ, FYI.

boot-pistol-03.jpg

Re: Is this a toy or... a percussion cap boot pistol?

Looks like a brass frame percussion cap single shot derringer to me. The rusty areas are steel parts, hence the rust. I'll see if I can find a pic for you. Definitely real, not a toy. And very cool! :headbang: :headbang:

Upvote 0

It looks like a real gun to me. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

That is a great find congratulations.

Upvote 0

Thanks everyone. Any idea on age? 200 years or am I off?

Upvote 0

Elad said:
Thanks everyone. Any idea on age? 200 years or am I off?

Not quite 200 years. 1840 +/- a decade.

Upvote 0

got of photo of the trigger area? --is it a spur trigger type?

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
got of photo of the trigger area? --is it a spur trigger type?

You can see most of it in one of the pictures. It's just a mass of rust. Hard to make out anything.

Ok, now how do I load this thing?

Upvote 0

Alabamared said:
What is the bore diameter?

I will measure it tomorrow at work.

Upvote 0

What troubles me is that every search result shows pistols that have barrels which are separate from the bodies. Other than the other post in the other forum, I cannot find another one like it.

great find! Congrats on the other goodies in your treasure bag as well.

Upvote 0

Neil in West Jersey said:
What troubles me is that every search result shows pistols that have barrels which are separate from the bodies. Other than the other post in the other forum, I cannot find another one like it.

great find! Congrats on the other goodies in your treasure bag as well.
Being loaded from the muzzle there is no need to have a seperate barrel but With a barrel made of brass you sure wouldn't want to accidently (or on purpose) dump a double charge of powder in it. I suspect it was a very cheap emergency piece not made for everyday use. A Civil War vintage Saturday Night Special ?

Upvote 0
Re: Is this a toy or... a percussion cap boot pistol? (it's real!)

Nice to see another one exist. The one that daroofa posted the link to and was found near the Henry factory.

I can't find another online. Anyone have a Flayderman's book and could check it out? I have different printings of his book but can't put my hands on any of them. :icon_scratch: This is a bigger mystery for me right now.

Maybe transitional pieces, late percussion spur trigger to the early spur trigger rimfire deringers? :read2:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Is this a toy or... a percussion cap boot pistol? (it's real!)

Alabamared said:
What is the bore diameter?

Ok the diameter is 8.5mm (or .333 in).

I used a micrometer so it's pretty exact.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back