Is this a Silver Travel Clock?

Aquitaine

Dec 8, 2021
British Columbia
I wasn't going to bother with this sad looking clock that was in a bin until I picked it up and it's quite heavy and tarnished. It reminded me that maybe it's silver? I was also suprised to see it opens up and wondering if it was a travel alarm clock way back when? The only marking is on the bottom which I haven't had much luck with finding any info. Thanks!

Attachments

• clock-002.jpg
    clock-002.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 59
  • clock-001.jpg
    clock-001.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 38
  • clock-003.jpg
    clock-003.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 41
  • clock-004.jpg
    clock-004.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 33
  • clock-005.jpg
    clock-005.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 38
  • clock.jpg
    clock.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 35
  • clock-1.jpg
    clock-1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 5
Sure looks like one. Can you show the inner workings?
The National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Society Limited (No.111982). Registered in England. Registered office: Tiddington Road, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 7BJ.
Don in SoCal

The National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Society Limited (No.111982). Registered in England. Registered office: Tiddington Road, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 7BJ.
Don in SoCal
I'll try to see if I can open it up to show you the working. I just learned the other day about a pocket watch...lol...

Don in SoCal
Would you have an idea how to open it up, I don't see any openings at all.

Curious design. It definitely has the appearance of silver, but I’m very surprised that it’s not hallmarked, unless the marks are tucked away somewhere. I would suspect silverplate. @Mackaydon is correct about the company name, and I would assume this was a promotional giveaway or an employee service award.

However, it’s not very old. Note that it’s ‘CE’ marked:

CE.jpg

The mark stands for "Conformité Européenne" (European Conformity) and is mandatory on certain types of commercial products to confirm that the item has been made in conformity with European health, safety, and environmental protection standards. It’s not a quality indicator, but allows the product to be freely traded in the European Union and European Economic Area. First introduced in 1993 and may be accompanied by a four-digit number for the certification body.

Here's an identical one, but marked for Davidoff Cigarettes, so it seems likely that these were promotional items.

Davidoff.jpg

Another similar one with a larger dial produced for Wedgwood:

Wedgwood.jpg

Here's an identical one, but marked for Davidoff Cigarettes, so it seems likely that these were promotional items.

View attachment 2174592

View attachment 2174593
Wow, thanks so much for finding it!

View attachment 2174592

View attachment 2174593
Awesome! I'm going to try polishing it as the one in the pic looks very nice and 50,00 EUR is about $35 US?

Wow! Lots of information guys! Interesting watch (or clock)! Thanks for all the information on it and thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back