✅ SOLVED Is this a Revolutionary War sword?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Long story short. I visited a dying patient at their house today to see if any adjustments were needed in her meds and she asked me if I wanted to see an old sword. Of course, I said yes. She states that this sword was carried by a solider who followed Washington around during the Rev. War. She has names of people it has been passed down through but no real providence. I told her I would take some pics and find out if this was possible. "If it is...we found an answer to your financial problems." The original owner is supposed to be Louis Bogner. He was taken Prisoner at Long Island. Later released and present at Brandywine and Yorktown. The sword was then willed to Orrin Bogner...and so fourth and so on.

IMG_1679.JPGIMG_1680.JPGIMG_1682.JPG

The "Internet" is Mightier than the "Sword"!

The markings appear to be that of "James Woolley" a famous 18th Century Sword Maker.

Woolley & Co. was one of 3 original British Contractors for Swords 1759ad - 1798ad

On a closer look one can see the "S" in Sargant

Woolley & Co. may have teamed up with another Manufacturer of Sargant during this time period to produce Swords for the American Colonies...These Arms Dealers showed no Loyalty to Country, much as today!

Wooley and Sargant and has cipher of William IV. Bezdek's "Swords and Sword Makers of England & Scotland" and OldSwords suggest that Wooley and Sargant ceased their cooperation in 1834

Woolley 18th Century Sword.jpg

Going Price: around $ 1500.00

Woolley 1796 Light cavalry sword

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. I will have her family hold on to it and search through those tin type pictures for the providence. It boggles my mind that earlier today I held a sword that may have been directly under the service of George Washington during the Revolutionary War....

Upvote 0
Don't know about the Revolutionary War but... it appears to be a British Army model 1796 (or 1811?) Pattern Light Cavalry Trooper's Sword. Maybe? Read this- 1796P Napoleonic British Light Cavalry Trooper's Sabre, Woolley & Sargant
Wooley & Sargant was out of business by 1825.

In response to your quote, "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King."

"The chickadee reminds me that the decision to choose harm – whether for philosophical or tactical reasons – is a possibility offered by the prior condition of having the capacity to harm, a capacity that not all of us share. But we all share the capacity to flourish, even under outrage, and to help others do the same. An emancipatory political movement inheres modes of change where harmlessness can go unpunished."

Not meant to offend...just caught me in one of those moments...

Upvote 0
In response to your quote, "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King."

"The chickadee reminds me that the decision to choose harm – whether for philosophical or tactical reasons – is a possibility offered by the prior condition of having the capacity to harm, a capacity that not all of us share. But we all share the capacity to flourish, even under outrage, and to help others do the same. An emancipatory political movement inheres modes of change where harmlessness can go unpunished."

Not meant to offend...just caught me in one of those moments...
No offense but... I see you've been reading Pambazuka News and quoting the post script. In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king | Pambazuka News written by this woman- LMH, Oxford - International Gender Studies Centre No thanks, feminists are fanatics. Especially an Oxford educated one that goes by the name of "Rainbow Girl" on Twitter or labels herself an "International feminist of mystery".
By the way, every single human has the capacity to harm.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back