Greenie
Mar 14, 2013
Barberton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000_1407.JPG000_1406.JPG

Can anyone identify this coin? Real coin or token?

We'll need a little more info before we can make any determination.

Size? Weight? Where did you find it? What's your best guess at what type of metal it is...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
IF it is real it is one of these:Shekel of Tyre with bust of Melkart - Biblical coin given to Judas

Greek, Hellenistic Period, 120–119 B.C.
Diameter: 28 mm. Weight: 14.33 gm.

You can order fake ones on-line for $20.

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's about the size of a quarter and weighs about the same. I don't know what metal it is other than it isn't magnetic because I tested that with a magnet. I found this in a box of coins my Mother had saved which contained some European coins too. I can't say where or when she got it.

Upvote 0
I think you're right. I looked up Shekel of Tyre with bust of Melkart and this coin is exactly that. Now if I can somehow find out if it is real or a replica.

Upvote 0
I dont know ancients but shouldnt it be silver?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like it might be cast, is there a seam on the edge?

Upvote 0
I seriously doubt its counterfeit and nobody suggested that.. Its a cheap replica. Not silver. Fake.

Upvote 0
thanks still learning, did counterfeiting happen in that time period?, and fake means replica, im getting it slowly

Basically yes, counterfeiting has happened for thousands of years, ever since coins existed (they were trying to pass them off as real at the time of use). Replicas are modern made to look like old rare ones, this can be legal if they are marked in some way (like with the word 'copy'). Fakes are produced to fool the collecting market, they can go to great extremes with rare coins, even using real gold or silver.

Upvote 0
maybe not fake as in counterfeit,may be a reproduction
not sure, i think this looks like the coin, yours is suppose to represent
CoinArchives.com Lot Viewer
more
CoinArchives.com Search Results
Sorry you are correct cw0909. I read your reply too fast. I guess by definition technically this is a replica because its most likely not meant to fool anyone. I see the nickel plating peeling off.

Members often use the word fake to ID replicas and maybe we shouldnt.. And now I did it too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back