Is this a musket ball?

fosgate3

Greenie
Sep 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TNet. I was visiting my dad this past weekend in the Fulton, MS area and was able to obtain permission to explore an old field. I found this small metal pellet in the field and I am not sure if it is a civil war era musket ball or if it came from an old shotgun shell. I don't have any experience with musket balls so I am in the dark. What does everyone think?

musket ball.jpg

That's pretty small, I'd guess buckshot from a shotgun shell.

Upvote 0
Your measure in metric does nothing for me, except your lead ball looks really small for a rifle or musket ball. Buck shot size 00, (double ought) is .33 inches. Triple ought, (000) is .36 inch. There was a muzzle loading musket load, used in the Civil War, that was called "buck and ball." Buck and ball were made up paper cartridges that had the powder charge with a full size musket ball and three 00 balls included in the load. This link will tell you more about buck and ball. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_and_ball

Here is a picture of an antique buck and ball paper cartridge.
A.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your replies. I thought I had subscribed to this thread so that I could see the replies but I guess I didn't. Whatever it is that I found is roughly 8mm in diameter, or .315 inches so maybe it's a roughly made 00 shot pellet?

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your replies. I thought I had subscribed to this thread so that I could see the replies but I guess I didn't. Whatever it is that I found is roughly 8mm in diameter, or .315 inches so maybe it's a roughly made 00 shot pellet?

edit one of your posts on the thread, go all the way down, there is a box to check that you want to subscribe and then a drop down box of how you want to be notified when there is a post. i usually select immediate email or instantaneous email, whatever they call it.

Upvote 0
your ruler pic has me confused, 1st pic looks like it is 1/2 CM, then the 3rd looks like it is a full CM. which is it? i have either canister-shot or pistol ball that is 1 CM.

Upvote 0
That's pretty small, I'd guess buckshot from a shotgun shell.

where are you in northeast ohio? i am from mentor originally. thinking there are some great places back there to hunt. lots of old places.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back