Is this a mint error 1985 $ 1.00 bill i got a few weeks ago ?

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave the teller at a coffee shop a 20.00 and got back a few singles this one single was in the pile , it looks like a ink smear from the mint a very noticeable one at that i think this one is a first for me i looked at the cut edges and they are clean no ink so i guess that would mean the bill was cut from a sheet after the smear was made ? , i put this post in a few other forums on T-Net but did not get much interest ? it looks like its never been in circulation and in pretty good shape for 26 years old , i only have Red books on coins if any knows about paper money i thank you . Jim :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Scan2.jpg
    Scan2.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 667
DD, I'll be the first one to admit, I know nothing about collectible currency, so I'm willing to learn, so I have a question. How do you know the ink that is on the bill came from the mint, and not ink that someone spilled or put on it? Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
DD, I'll be the first one to admit, I know nothing about collectible currency, so I'm willing to learn, so I have a question. How do you know the ink that is on the bill came from the mint, and not ink that someone spilled or put on it? Breezie

Hi Breezie , the ink goes from the top to the bottom of the bill but on the cut edges top and bottom there is no ink anywhere i used a loop i would think if the ink was placed there after the bill left the mint there would be ink on the edges like run over ? and iam no expert either on paper mint errors it just seems a rare thing for a more modern bill like 1985 to get past what ever inspection checks they use at the mint , also the dark green ink is the same color as the dark green ink used on the bill in certain places , the few people who have seen it here all say it looks to be a mint error , my guess is as good as anyone else . Maybe this week i will take to the local coin shop . Thanks for the help :thumbsup: Jim

Upvote 0
I happen to be a collector of money of all denominations...can't seem to get enough of it :laughing7:

However, all kidding aside, a coin store should be able to test the ink against the formula for that particular run.

Interesting topic...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back