✅ SOLVED Is This a Fake or Real Daguerrotype of a Bartender? Bakelite Case?

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up this case this morning in a junk pile. I thought it was a novelty plastic daguerreotype of a fake bartender but when I removed the photo, I noticed vintage labeling underneath.
So, can I conclude it's real vintage? Do you think the case could be Bakelite? Could the frame possibly be real gold?
Also, I could kind of read Sohnifor ???
A.C. Miller, Photographer, Old Bank Corner, Troy, Ohio
Littlefield, Parsons and Co...
DSCN4026[1].JPG DSCN4027[1].JPGDSCN4029[1].JPG DSCN4028[1].JPG

Looks very real to me. Not sure if that is Bakelite or gold foil but you could research the company further to find out how they manufactured the frames.
m.ebay.com/itm/Littlefield-Parsons-Co-Daguerreotype-Union-Case-1856-1857-Beautiful-detail/202185075801?hash=item2f132b6c59:g:7igAAOSwdjdaHwPB

Upvote 0
Great find, the detail in the gold frame is nuts!
awesome pic of the bartender too! I think you may be right about the Bakelite cover, of not, perhaps it is hard rubber

Upvote 0
I think it's called Gutta Percha(?),Not backelite.

I didn't read the above links, so maybe it's already been mentioned. It's real, And those are cool to find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I should have looked at Mackaydon's link....
A mixture of Shellac and wood fibers pressed into a steel mold, a technique used from 1855-1865. Cool!
It is often mistaken for Gutta Percha (Hard rubber).

Upvote 0
I should have looked at Mackaydon's link....
A mixture of Shellac and wood fibers pressed into a steel mold, a technique used from 1855-1865. Cool!
It is often mistaken for Gutta Percha (Hard rubber).

Yes, I guess I should have read the link first too.:laughing7: I was always told they were gutta percha, Ooops...

Upvote 0
the 2 cent revenue stamp dates from 1862 to 1871. The box and frame are really cool. The thing that seems out of place to me are the eyeglasses the subject is wearing. They seem far more modern than typical 1860's eye wear. Any chance you can take a pic any closer where we can blow up the image more? The advertising signage also looks more typical of 20th century

Upvote 0
I agree with jewelerguy, those glasses just don't look period, and not sure about the oval which looks to be a beer type, attached to a keg for drawing draft beer from.

Upvote 0
The toning on the black and white don't look right to me. Also, It is extremely rare to see everything in sharp focus in a photo from that time period.
Also, daguerreotypes are developed on glass plates, the photo shown appears to be on paper.
IMHO, real case/frame, newer photo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't that a hard pack of Marlboro Reds on the counter?

ok, so I saved the pic to my computer and enlarged as much as I could..... I do believe it is a pack of Marlboro smokes on the counter. Also the sign next to him is the Schaefer beer logo. Schaefer has been around since 1842, but I have no idea ho long the logo has. Marlboro on the other hand has only been around since 1924. My opinion is genuine frame, newer black and white photo probably from the 50's or 60's

Upvote 0
It looks like someone in the 1950s folded open the gold foil on the right side and slid uncle Bobs picture in there. I think the real picture is still there. Beautiful case!

Upvote 0
Jewelerguy-- You are right! I had the same suspicions so I just disassembled the daguerreotype and found a photo under the photo. The bartender had 1957 written on the back and the photo under him had two girls in period dresses. So, it appears the case is antique but the bartender inside was not true to date. Thanks!
DSCN4044[1].JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back