Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This lead ball was found on the former British Isle not far from where I found the beautiful 1600's Openwork Bridal Boss. It is round and measures approx 5/8" in diameter. It was found in a somewhat wet area. Thanks fo any help!

Attachments

• Musket Ball Dropped.jpg
    Musket Ball Dropped.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,018
Timekiller wrote:
> Not trying to be anal here. :) But he clearly states that it was found on a former British Isle. So why is military (REV.WAR-Civil War) involved???

Like your post, this reply is not intended as anal or argumentative ...just a simple honest answer to your question.

I figured Erik-in-NJ would prefer to get a more-specific ID for his lead ball than just "Yes, it is a musketball." I thought he would like to know its specific caliber and time-period, and I hoped we ID-helpers could figure out such a specific ID.
So, earlier in this discussion, I wrote:
> We'll need super-precise measurement (made with Digital Calipers, not a ruler) to tell your musketball's caliber and time-period.
> For example, Revolutionary War era Military muskets tended to be .72 to .75-caliber.

That is why I brought up the subject of Rev War era and 1800s-era musket-calibers and musketball diameters. Although Erik's musketball could be for a civilian-type musket, I was hoping its diameter might match up with a Military caliber from a particular time-period ...and we could then give him a more-specific ID than just saying "Yes, it is a musketball."

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Timekiller wrote:
> Not trying to be anal here. :) But he clearly states that it was found on a former British Isle. So why is military (REV.WAR-Civil War) involved???

Like your post, this reply is not intended as anal or argumentative ...just a simple honest answer to your question.

I figured Erik-in-NJ would prefer to get a more-specific ID for his lead ball than just "Yes, it is a musketball." I thought he would like to know its specific caliber and time-period, and I hoped we ID-helpers could figure out such a specific ID.
So, earlier in this discussion, I wrote:
> We'll need super-precise measurement (made with Digital Calipers, not a ruler) to tell your musketball's caliber and time-period.
> For example, Revolutionary War era Military muskets tended to be .72 to .75-caliber.

That is why I brought up the subject of Rev War era and 1800s-era musket-calibers and musketball diameters. Although Erik's musketball could be for a civilian-type musket, I was hoping its diameter might match up with a Military caliber from a particular time-period ...and we could then give him a more-specific ID than just saying "Yes, it is a musketball."
I understand that. :thumbsup: I've got no problem with the whole deal as long as the poster of the thread don't go away thinking that all small size musket balls have to be after the Rev. War.(not true) I've provided plenty of proof otherwise for that statement. :wink:
We I feel are all here to help.Don't think no one is trying to miss leed anyone. :thumbsup: You are good with Id'ing finds TheCannonballGuy. :thumbsup: Just sometimes things have variables (meaning could go either way).
The fact it's sized as 5/8 inch found on a island where anything could of took place from any country adds to the problem.Hell even the water itself adds a problem as I'm sure some low velocity fired musket ball could skip across & come arrest onshore without ever looking fired.I mean if high velocity bullets can do it other then seeing the caseing ring I'm sure a round ball can as well.I find them like that all the time nowhere near the site itself (site on one side of the creek round ball on other). Anyway I'll step out & let it go.Was just giving a broader view on the post.
Take Care & hope it get's solved for the poster. :hello:
Pete

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back