DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine picked this up from a civil war museum/shop that was closing about 20 years ago near Sharpsburg, Md. He was told then that it came from a confederate soldiers belongings. Supposedly it was the hat that he wore during the war. I'm just curious if any of you know anything about this type of relic. And is there anyone or way to know if this is indeed from that time period. On both sides of the hat there are little holes where a hat pin would have been put on numerous times. As there are several little holes on both sides. On one of the sides it's apparent that there was something circular attached to the side of the hat. The sun had faded the hat leaving the silhouette of something circular. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• image-1470025595.jpg
    image-1470025595.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 188
  • image-3217039466.jpg
    image-3217039466.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image-565688919.jpg
    image-565688919.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 127
  • image-1980598695.jpg
    image-1980598695.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1235127424.jpg
    image-1235127424.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image-1587417999.jpg
    image-1587417999.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 199
  • image-2115931398.jpg
    image-2115931398.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 142
Difficlut to tell , but I do question the stiching around the Brim Picture 4 looks too Uniform , Maybe Spanish american war era Why not post it out in the CW forum Some good minds over there If you google CONFEDERATE SLOUCH HAT in the image section there is a picture about 1/2 way down Guy with a beard

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Citiboy is correct to "question" the stitching. The fact that each stitch of thread is the same length as the others means it is machine-made stitching, which civil war uniform experts will tell you is a reliable clue that the clothing/uniform/hat post-dates the civil war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I kinda think it may have started life as a western hat. Looks kinda like the Stetson Boss of the Plains.

Upvote 0
A friend of mine picked this up from a civil war museum/shop that was closing about 20 years ago near Sharpsburg, Md. He was told then that it came from a confederate soldiers belongings. Supposedly it was the hat that he wore during the war. I'm just curious if any of you know anything about this type of relic. And is there anyone or way to know if this is indeed from that time period. On both sides of the hat there are little holes where a hat pin would have been put on numerous times. As there are several little holes on both sides. On one of the sides it's apparent that there was something circular attached to the side of the hat. The sun had faded the hat leaving the silhouette of something circular. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sure that didn't belong to Popcorn Sutton? :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Mike, I do know a gentlemen in Stafford,VA who runs a civil war shop off Rt 1. his name is Nick Harris his shop is about 2 miles from the Falmouth Intersection off rt 1 heading north on the right before Drew Middle School. He can tell you what you got, this is something that needs to be looked more of less Offline. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
Is it possible that the slouch is a M1898 US GI Span Am war issue? Here is an internet photo of a mint condition one. I know there were different styles used in that war. I have my grandfather's and it has a lower top and wider brim, however, it does have the sunburst vent holes on the sides. Best of luck! Sub 8-)

Attachments

• slouchhat.jpg
    slouchhat.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0
Is it possible that the slouch is a M1898 US GI Span Am war issue? Here is an internet photo of a mint condition one. I know there were different styles used in that war. I have my grandfather's and it has a lower top and wider brim, however, it does have the sunburst vent holes on the sides. Best of luck! Sub 8-)
HOLY SMOKE I AMAZED MYSELF WITH THAT SPANISH AMERICAN WAR GUESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
You know everyone and their grandma back then was a professional stitcher so I wouldn't say if that was machine or not.. Stitching can play tricks on you if you don't know what you're looking for. Let us know Mike how this turns out if you ever find out.

Upvote 0
HutSiteDigger said:
You know everyone and their grandma back then was a professional stitcher so I wouldn't say if that was machine or not.. Stitching can play tricks on you if you don't know what you're looking for. Let us know Mike how this turns out if you ever find out.

With in the next week or so I will check with the guy you mentioned. Thanks for the help everyone.

Upvote 0
Also don't forget the Civil War Show coming too town in Stafford,Va in a few weeks @ the Order Of The Eagle lounge off Cool Springs road, it is always packed and filled with experts, but Nicky would for sure be able too tell you about this hat.:occasion14:

Upvote 0
Do you have the exact dates for that show at the Eagles Lodge? I thought we had one coming up at the Expo center in Central Park...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back