is this a coin

redpepper

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinyb.jpgfront.jpg

Hello ! this might be my first coin find , but im not sure it is a coin ..... it seems impossible to get the black hard stuff off :/ or maybe thats part of it. Please can anyone help x

Attachments

• coinnn.jpg
    coinnn.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 92
thankyou !!!!! it makes sense now! thanks so much xxx

Upvote 0
meant to say - Treble Gilt Standard button - might be CW era - possibly Confederate - need experts to confirm.

Attachments

• B5359B_small.jpg
    B5359B_small.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 291
  • B5359A_small.jpg
    B5359A_small.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0
im not sure thats it but certainly similar. I found it in scarborough uk .... it weighs about 6g and was found next to a tiny ( what i think is a belt buckle ) its about 2.5cm long with two little slots and a hole above one ofthe slots (tinyhole ) I must say i was so excited because i thought id found a coin , ill keep looking because id like to find a coin abit earlier than 2005 lol

Upvote 0
Well, a lot of Confederate buttons were indeed made in the UK and shipped to the US during the war - however, it's still a cool find. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you will find some amazing coins and artifacts over there - I'd love to hunt in the UK sometime and find a hammered silver!

Upvote 0
yes im lucky to live here , its a good place to live , i got a 250 garret ace less than a week ago and have been out everyday. Im still worried about getting told off for detecting but everyone ive met is lovely.... however i stick to public land as i wouldn't trespass and i don't think there are any rules for not searching on public land.
Then yesterday i panicked because i thought id found a bomb , my partner told me it wasn't so i washed it and still don't know what it is....i dont actually know what bombs look like so id have no idea , however it seems to be a lump of metal.
I like the button but its impossible to clean without hurting it , so ill pop it in a box.
I found a couple of musket balls but would like to know how old the belt buckle is i think , so i might ask you ladies and gents if thats okay.

Upvote 0
It is a gilt Button circa 1830, if you soak in pure lemon juice (bottled type) for 20 minutes & brush with a nail brush under water it will come up nice.

Welcome to Tnet. You have years of great finds ahead of you, just get in those ploughed fields.

Upvote 0
It is a normal gilded flat button, not a military button. Still a cool find though.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Welcome to the site, and to the hobby too by the sound of it. You WILL find coins soon, that's a fact, so don't worry about that. :)

You're unlikely to be "told off" while detecting on a beach in the UK, however, ALL land has an owner and you DO need permission by rights. For beaches this isn't a big problem as most are owned by the crown (Queenie)...and a printable permit can be gained in a couple of minutes online here:
The Crown Estate || Metal detecting

Public land such as parks etc are another thing altogether! While it's possible to detect them without "permission", people can and will sometimes give you grief for detecting there, especially if they're park wardens, council officials, police etc. Applying to the council for permission generally ends up in a refusal as they don't detect themselves and assume you're going to dig your finds up using a JCB! So the rule of thumb in parks is...do it until (officially) thrown off! :)
If you live in North Yorkshire, then you have massive amounts of history buried and waiting for you to stand in the right place with your detector. Possibly you live near farmland and as you progress into the hobby can ask or get a farmers permission to detect his fields...these are by far the best places to detect and the places with the best finds.

Best of luck to you in the future and don't give up. Detecting is a frustrating hobby at times, but one of the most rewarding for the patient. ;)

Feel free to post anything here for us to guess at and/or solve for you and don't be afraid to ask questions. :)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the site, and to the hobby too by the sound of it. You WILL find coins soon, that's a fact, so don't worry about that. :)

You're unlikely to be "told off" while detecting on a beach in the UK, however, ALL land has an owner and you DO need permission by rights. For beaches this isn't a big problem as most are owned by the crown (Queenie)...and a printable permit can be gained in a couple of minutes online here:
The Crown Estate || Metal detecting

Public land such as parks etc are another thing altogether! While it's possible to detect them without "permission", people can and will sometimes give you grief for detecting there, especially if they're park wardens, council officials, police etc. Applying to the council for permission generally ends up in a refusal as they don't detect themselves and assume you're going to dig your finds up using a JCB! So the rule of thumb in parks is...do it until (officially) thrown off! :)
If you live in North Yorkshire, then you have massive amounts of history buried and waiting for you to stand in the right place with your detector. Possibly you live near farmland and as you progress into the hobby can ask or get a farmers permission to detect his fields...these are by far the best places to detect and the places with the best finds.

Best of luck to you in the future and don't give up. Detecting is a frustrating hobby at times, but one of the most rewarding for the patient. ;)

Feel free to post anything here for us to guess at and/or solve for you and don't be afraid to ask questions. :)

Exactly, I PMed him & offer help on gaining land. Parks are a grey area, unless there is a by-Law against detecting which many now have. They don't need to post signs but you do need to check By-Laws as you maybe breaking them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back