Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HPIM4608.JPGHPIM4609.JPG

Would love to know if this is one. I know that the faces on them were prone to blowing off during explosion.

Best Wishes,

Buck

i dont know if it is a Bormann Time Fuze, i never really understood how they worked,while trying
to find out if it is, i found this article and it is the best article, ive read to date, that explains how it
works, so thanks for the history lesson, sorry i couldnt id your metal thing

Bormann Time Fuze

Upvote 0
i dont know if it is a Bormann Time Fuze, i never really understood how they worked,while trying
to find out if it is, i found this article and it is the best article, ive read to date, that explains how it
works, so thanks for the history lesson, sorry i couldnt id your metal thing

Bormann Time Fuze

Neat information page. Thanks for the link.

Upvote 0
As you see in the photo at the webpage linked by Cw0909, a Bormann fuze has threading on its outside but not on its inside. Your lead object has threading on its inside, so it cannot be a piece of a Bormann fuze.

However, there is a similar-looking lead object which is related to a civil war artillery fuze. If you dug it at the Port Hudson LA battlefield, it could be from a lead-jacketed Sawyer shell's fuzehole.

Upvote 0
As you see in the photo at the webpage linked by Cw0909, a Bormann fuze has threading on its outside but not on its inside. Your lead object has threading on its inside, so it cannot be a piece of a Bormann fuze.

However, there is a similar-looking lead object which is related to a civil war artillery fuze. If you dug it at the Port Hudson LA battlefield, it could be from a lead-jacketed Sawyer shell's fuzehole.

It was dug in Louisiana, but far away from Port Hudson. Thank you for your help, CBG! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge here on the forum!

Cheers,

Buck

Upvote 0
Buck, you're welcome. I wouldn't toss it into the junk bucket just yet. Holcombe's Vermont Battery, the only one which had 3.67" Sawyer Rifle cannons at Port Hudson, may have used them elsewhere in Louisiana. Did you find come from a late-1862 to mid-1863 site in Louisiana? If so, you might want to do some research on that battery's activities in Louisiana.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back