Is there gold in ohio

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I am not looking to get rich just wanted to know if there was gold in southwest Ohio. Along the mad river area. I just want to know if there is a way to find out such as a website with gold deposits or glacier paths. I just want to dig or pan for gold for fun. Like I said looking for fun not getting rich.

Upvote 0
From what i have read there are only 2 areas in Ohio ever known to have produced gold, and neither one was good enough to be commercially viable.
The only gold in Ohio is placer gold (small flakes) deposited in certain river areas after the glacial melt.
The areas where this can be found are on the edge of the farthest progress of the glaciers.
I can't remember the area names now, but there is an Ohio gold prospecting club, and I believe some companies have purchased sites that you can pay a fee to prospect and camp at.

The club people are referring to is about an hour from me down stream of the river. Where I am located all 3 river join into one. The prospecting club chapter is about an hour down stream so I was curious if being up stream if it was possible.

Try panning a few shovels and see if placer gold shows up...

The club people are referring to is about an hour from me down stream of the river. Where I am located all 3 river join into one. The prospecting club chapter is about an hour down stream so I was curious if being up stream if it was possible.
Sounds promising...look for cobble bars in the area within the confluence down to the first 1/2 mile downstream of the confluence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back