Is there a rock expert in the house?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've hit rocks before running in all metal mode. Usually they run my threshold down to the negative. This rock here hit way positive. It was about eight inches down and sounded like a big hunk of iron on top of the ground. It hit hard. It even hits on my pinpointer. It signals as iron and no higher. It is very flaky, brittle and pretty light. Anyone know what it may be.

-Swartzie

Attachments

• rock_a.jpg
    rock_a.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 528
  • rock_b.jpg
    rock_b.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 521
  • rock_c.jpg
    rock_c.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 667
My guess, a clinker out of a forge fire? Kind of looks like one anyhow, but it's been a long time since I've used a forge.

Upvote 0
There have been no industrial sites anywhere close to the site. However, there was fur trade activity in the mid 1700's.
-Swartzie

Upvote 0
Doesn't have to be near an industrial area to be smelter dross.

If you have a steel rasp, try eroding a small area into the rock. Post a close-up of said "window". Looks like a lot of "pot holes" in that slag, but if the interior is solid with no pot holes, it might be something else.

Upvote 0
Where there any RR near there I have found a lot of slag like that in the road beds they used anything in them?

Jonnie

Upvote 0
baywalker said:
Where there any RR near there I have found a lot of slag like that in the road beds they used anything in them?

Jonnie

It was found near a river. No rr tracks, homes or anything nearby. It's near a mid 1700's indian village where I have found many artifacts dating to the time of the village. This was found several hundred yards downstream from my other finds.

-Swartzie

Upvote 0
BosnMate said:
My guess, a clinker out of a forge fire? Kind of looks like one anyhow, but it's been a long time since I've used a forge.
! Slag?

Upvote 0
old digger said:
BosnMate said:
! Slag?
Slag metal, the fused residue separated in the reduction of metals from thier ores. Or it could be - volcanic lava in cinder like pieces.
But I think in this instance it's from the reduction of ore. The American Indians did do some of their own smelting.

Upvote 0
Regardless of where it was found, it is common dross or slag that is seperated from a substance containing a lot of iron. Even some coal has a lot of iron and has magnetic properties. We had several smelters around here at one time and they used the slag to fill in the road beds. Monty

Upvote 0
Lewis and Clark had a portable forge and a blacksmith with them. The army had portable forges, I suspect fur trade outfits did also. Forts had permanent forges. There are all sorts of ways that clinker/slag could have got there.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back