42 Scout car

Greenie
Nov 15, 2021

Attachments

• gg1.jpeg
    gg1.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 24
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.
tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum GENERAL DISCUSSION contains a wide variety of topics, including, treasure hunting, metal detecting, prospecting, relic hunting - even antique hunting. A great place to meet other treasure hunters!

Upvote 0
42scoutcar said:
> Hi all, so I have what I think is a cannonball recovered from the West Point Foundry in the 1960s.

The West Point Foundry made many kinds of iron/steel balls for decades before and after the civil war, mostly for Civilian use, very few were Artillery balls.

> My friend gave it to me. It weighs 1.5.3 pounds and the Dia is 2.08.
> I checked out the civil war charts I can't seem to find it.
> I need help. Calling the Cannonball guy!

Thank you saving me from having to tell you we need super-precise measurements of the ball's diameter and weight, in order to be certain about its correct identification.

Since your measurements do not match any of the diameters-&-weights in the Shot Tables charts, the ball is definitely not an Artillery ball.

Although a 32-Pounder caliber Canister-ammo ball is a hair larger than yours (2.03-2.05" versus your 2.08"), the Canister ball weighs 1.14 pounds, and you say your ball is much heavier, at 1.5.3 pounds. So, your ball's extra weight for its size means it is made of Steel, which is a heavier alloy of iron than simple Cast-Iron. The 1861 Ordnance Manual (also used by the Confederates) says quite specifically that artillery balls were made ONLY cast-iron or lead -- never Steel.

In summary:
Your ball being made of Steel means it is for a heavy-duty Industrial/Mechanical purpose, such as a ball-bearing or a rock/ore-crusher ball.

I take no pleasure in sticking a pin into somebody's balloon, but I have to give you the Historical facts... which exclude your ball from being an Artillery projectile.

Upvote 5
42scoutcar said:
> Hi all, so I have what I think is a cannonball recovered from the West Point Foundry in the 1960s.

The West Point Foundry made many kinds of iron/steel balls for decades before and after the civil war, mostly for Civilian use, very few were Artillery balls.

> My friend gave it to me. It weighs 1.5.3 pounds and the Dia is 2.08.
> I checked out the civil war charts I can't seem to find it.
> I need help. Calling the Cannonball guy!

Thank you saving me from having to tell you we need super-precise measurements of the ball's diameter and weight, in order to be certain about its correct identification.

Since your measurements do not match any of the diameters-&-weights in the Shot Tables charts, the ball is definitely not an Artillery ball.

Although a 32-Pounder caliber Canister-ammo ball is a hair larger than yours (2.03-2.05" versus your 2.08"), the Canister ball weighs 1.14 pounds, and you say your ball is much heavier, at 1.5.3 pounds. So, your ball's extra weight for its size means it is made of Steel, which is a heavier alloy of iron than simple Cast-Iron. The 1861 Ordnance Manual (also used by the Confederates) says quite specifically that artillery balls were made ONLY cast-iron or lead -- never Steel.

In summary:
Your ball being made of Steel means it is for a heavy-duty Industrial/Mechanical purpose, such as a ball-bearing or a rock/ore-crusher ball.

I take no pleasure in sticking a pin into somebody's balloon, but I have to give you the Historical facts... which exclude your ball from being an Artillery projectile.
Cannonball guy, thanks very much for your time. I was leaning towards it not being a Cannonball . From past posts of yours, I did see it was not in the charts that you supplied. I am still happy to have it since it is still historically significant. Not much has survived from the West Point Foundry. Do you have any of your books that for sale? I rather get it from you than from Amazon where they take a big chuck of your money... Stay safe, Rob

Upvote 1
42Scout car said:
> Do you have any of your books that for sale?\
> I rather get it from you than from Amazon where they take a big chuck of your money.

Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, it is now permanently out-of-print, because my (deceased) co-author's estate has no interest in keeping the book "alive."
VERY important note:
There are two editions of the book ("Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War" by Thomas S. Dickey & Peter C. George). The first edition was published in 1980. After Tom passed away, I wrote a massive update of the book in 1993 by myself, more than doubling the amount of text, and adding 127 new photos. So, do NOT pay big bucks for the old obsolete 1980 edition. To get the updated version, make sure the cover says "Revised & Supplemented 1993 Edition."

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back