Is GPS acurate enough?

Yes when I was learning drafting, the old way with 4H and ink (pre cad) we used foot dimensions for architectural renderings and 10th of inches for mechanical drawings.I still have both 3 sided scales. To tell you the truth, I don't like a lot of the changes in systems. When I learned electronics they used the term Cycles per second to designate a frequency. Now the frequency is designated as Hertz per second. Heinrick had to get his due ! Frank...

Yeah you are old! Just like me. Ha!

Don't let your ink run under the scale.

Yeah you are old! Just like me. Ha!

Don't let your ink run under the scale.

You never used a scale to ink. You used the angles 45 degree, 30 degree or the big straight edge that was mounted to the drawing board by cables. etc. They had undercut areas along the edge on the bottom to prevent this. I use to do most of the Leroy lettering. Yea, I am old. I use to go in the store, they would ring it up I would pay up and leave. Now I have to present my loyalty card watch the clerk ring it up, correct items that were supposed to be on sale, have the manager correct the item price, swipe my credit card, push the credit button, push the OK on price, sign the screen, push complete. And they say computers have made things simpler and easier. Humbug. Frank...

STILL LIFE-0003 wolf.jpg

I like the old drafting methods better than using CAD. Seems I don't think about the design when using CAD, I guess it draws faster than I can think!?:laughing7:
I still have all my tech pins, scales, drafting tools, even my 3'x6' drafting table with drafting machine.
I was the design engineer for a hunting products company 15 years ago, many of my designs and patents are still being used by Cabela's. They couldn't understand why I drew by hand!

I like the old drafting methods better than using CAD. Seems I don't think about the design when using CAD, I guess it draws faster than I can think!?:laughing7:
I still have all my tech pins, scales, drafting tools, even my 3'x6' drafting table with drafting machine.
I was the design engineer for a hunting products company 15 years ago, many of my designs and patents are still being used by Cabela's. They couldn't understand why I drew by hand!
You drew your hand? lol Frank...hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
hand print-2_edited-6.jpgHands should make a good impression!

This might be a little different,but what about taking pictures of the area with your cell phone or camera and then if the GPS doesn't work at least you have a picture.

This might be a little different,but what about taking pictures of the area with your cell phone or camera and then if the GPS doesn't work at least you have a picture.

its not so much to remember the site, but to track the "finds" as they are leading back to a potential source - if you've followed my other posts you'll see what I mean!

The major use of my GPS is the 'bread crumb' trail to get my tail back out of there. Out west, they give you a series of pictures to follow to find sites like The Wave area of Vermillion Cliffs NP and I want to tell you that 3 mile hike thru the desert locks completely different on the return trip. Frank...

VERMILLION146-2.jpg

The major use of my GPS is the 'bread crumb' trail to get my tail back out of there. Out west, they give you a series of pictures to follow to find sites like The Wave area of Vermillion Cliffs NP and I want to tell you that 3 mile hike thru the desert locks completely different on the return trip. Frank...
..And that holds the same truth for the deep bush in Canada...

It was a joke! sorry, Frank...View attachment 816575

Frank, I know it was a joke...
I don't take much on forums very serious.

Now back to our topic...

"Is GPS acurate enough?"

Well.. that depends on YOU.
If it's not accurate enough.. would you know it? After all, did you know "Accurate" has two "C's"?
And if you're one of the people who only follows the track of the GPS.. would you know if it was showing you the right way?
It's not rare for a GPS to be wrong... and it's not rare for a compass to be wrong... and I have found several mistakes on topo maps.
But, I can tell you true... it would be a cold day in heck before two GPS, two compass, your maps, sun doesn't shine, moon and stars not out.. to all fail at the same time!

But.. it really wouldn't matter if all you know how to do is turn on that one GPS you carry!!

But.. it really wouldn't matter if all you know how to do is turn on that one GPS you carry!!

Great point.

As a kid who wandered around in a decent sized woods and still do it, I wonder about the "newbies" armed with GPS and no woods savvy. Not all people have a sense of direction; I just take mine for granted but I know not everyone has it.

No sun, no attention paid to how you came in, your GPS goes black, and then what? You're lost.

Back to the thread:

Here is the best link I've found that explains a complicated subject in an understandable fashion:

GPS Accuracy and Limitations

I use RTK, now with the corrections received by my second, dedicated cell phone from the DOT's web site maintained by them and anchored by a state-wide network of base stations. The wonderful program is run by very smart and dedicated public servants, all of whom I know personally, some for many years.

My accuracy (when I have good sky geometry) is on the order of sub-centimeter (a few millimeters). Less when things aren't that good. Property irons need more accuracy than power poles, for example.

This is a great example of the type of program that government is ideally suited to do, and can't imagine the private sector (like me) doing it reliably and accurately, not to mention cheaply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back