Iron Cap/Lid. Now it has a SPRING (Updated Pics)

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this iron graduated 'bullseye' cap/lid at a CW camp that has produced pewter canteen filters, flat bullets, and a rosette. Does anyone have a clue about this lid (or whatever it is?) I want to know whether to chunk it or electrocute it; lol. Thanks in advance for help and any ideas. Breezie

Attachments

• IronLid1Top.jpg
    IronLid1Top.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IronLid2Bottom.jpg
    IronLid2Bottom.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 291
Re: Iron graduated bullseye LID (?)

Is it possible that it is a beehive button/snap? Good luck with the ID, Breezie!
Great hunting and good luck!! Skypilot

Upvote 0

skypilot02 said:
Is it possible that it is a beehive button/snap? Good luck with the ID, Breezie!
Great hunting and good luck!! Skypilot

Hey Sky, thanks for your reply, but this piece is 2 inches wide, so much too large for a button. ;D Breezie

Upvote 0

Is the neck about the right size for a candle stick? Maybe it's part of a candle holder or candelabra.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DCMatt said:
Is the neck about the right size for a candle stick? Maybe it's part of a candle holder or candelabra.

DCMatt

Matt, after reading your post, I decided to try to clean it to see if the hole would hold a candle. As I was scraping some of the rust off, a spring popped out. If it is some type of compression cap, the spring looks like it is on the wrong side since the lipped edge is on the opposite side. Now what do you think??? Breezie

Attachments

• CapWithSpring1.jpg
    CapWithSpring1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 191
  • CapWithSpring2.jpg
    CapWithSpring2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 186
  • CapWithSpring3.jpg
    CapWithSpring3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 190
  • CapWithSpring4.jpg
    CapWithSpring4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
I think you have a radiator thermostat from a car. Not a Civil War car either. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Yep, I think you're right Lucas! I guess this cap goes along with the 1930s-40s lipstick tube I found in the same area about 5 feet from a CW bullet. Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Lucas said:
I think you have a radiator thermostat from a car. Not a Civil War car either. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Yep, I think you're right Lucas! I guess this cap goes along with the 1930s-40s lipstick tube I found in the same area about 5 feet from a CW bullet. Breezie
It looks like it could be a thermostat. I can't think of anything else right off.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back