Iron ball found, could anyone identify it?

Manikally

Nov 1, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I found an iron ball in the roots of a felled tree (in the UK) and would just like to know what kind of ball it is.
I’ve added pics, one of the shows a magnet attached. It seems too small for a cannonball and too big for a hand cannon so most probably something else.
Any help would be appreciated, many thanks. 7F6A705B-B150-4D25-922F-C7EB7AAC666F.jpeg2A20CC78-516C-4887-A297-580CADC382A0.jpeg3343A55E-59FC-47F5-B20E-B3B19EB5B188.jpeg2F67A8DB-50AD-40B6-85CD-5DB990ECDD30.jpeg21150777-7CC2-44E9-B4EE-B97FA74DEE8E.jpeg

Interesting find...got to be honest, it looks to me like a righteous meteorite,
fusion crust and all..:occasion14:

Upvote 0
It’s too lite for a cannonball, the broken fusion crust side could be impact with terrain ?
Weight to size ratio bothers me....

Upvote 0
If you have a geologist at a University near by, I would ask for a consult. I would also investigate any KNOWN strewnfields in the area you found this.I see no evidence of fusion crust, and no regmaglpts.[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] - Good Luck![/FONT]

Upvote 0
To determine with certain whether or not it is an Artillery ball, we need you to knock all the rust-encrustation off of it with a hammer, and then super-precisely measure its diameter with a digital caliper. Then tell us its exact weight without the rust-encrustation.

You ball, WITH the thick encrustation, weighs 485 grams, which translates to 1 pound 1.32-ounces.

Historical artillery ball data charts show a 1-Pounder caliber cannonball weighed (of course) one pound and was 1.95-inches in diameter.

So, without the thick coating of dirt-&-rust-encrustation, your ball MIGHT measure about 1.95-inch, and MIGHT weigh about 1.0 pound instead of 1 pound 1.3 ounces. But the only way to know for sure is complete removal of the encrustation, followed by very-precise weighing and measuring. If after cleaning it doesn't match up with the 1-Pounder cannonball's official measurements, it is not a cannonball.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back