Introduction

UTDev78

Jan 17, 2024
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro and V3i
After leaving Virginia where i built up a sweet Civil War collection while metal detecting, I am now in SW Ohio and re-starting my creek/farm field hunts for points and tools. Metal detecting is a blast but nothing will match my VA experience. I am placing my points in display cases and for each, I am identifying name, cultural period, length, width, and county found. May need some help on some finds. I would appreciate any help with this quest! I am not sure if this a Dickson point or not. I spend a lot of time on 3 separate point ID websites and will do so before I ask for help.

Thanks! Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
Upvote 4
hello, from central Ohio , your are in a good spot for artifacts.

I grew up in Chillicothe and lived 1 mile from the where the Tecumseh re-enactment takes place. Walked the farm fields a ton and have some nice finds. Will show them in the near future.
yeah thats a great area, unfortunate a large solar farm now runs from there to 23 destroyed alot of sites

Welcome, I grew up in south Columbus, later in Grove City. I walked the fields along the Scioto River, southern Franklin County & Pickaway County were my stomping grounds. I also looked quite a bit in Ross County along Paint Creek and in Scioto County. Looking forward to seeing your finds.

Welcome, I grew up in south Columbus, later in Grove City. I walked the fields along the Scioto River, southern Franklin County & Pickaway County were my stomping grounds. I also looked quite a bit in Ross County along Paint Creek and in Scioto County. Looking forward to seeing your finds.
Thanks for the welcome!
I also posted Creek Finds #1 with other finds. Been finding a lot of tools, weights and some rock art in the creeks as well

That point could be a Dickson. A lot of the stemmed points are late archaic and early woodland in my area. Hard to distinguish a Mason, Kramer, Dickson. They tend to overlap each other in their construction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back