Introduction Of The New Garrett Storm

As long as it's been taking, I really hope Garrett will be showcasing/releasing an exceptional detector tomorrow. They desperately need something to stand out & surpass the other fantastic detectors out there which many folks have been flocking to. Myself included.

crossed-fingers-linear-icon-gesture-for-making-a-wish.jpg

Garrett failed bigtime on this. They should have never posted a live event just to see this horrendous teaser trailer. I'm sure lots of folks are upset for waiting on this video.

If Garrett would have just put the video out there without having folks wait, I bet it would have been better received.

Pretty sure Garrett knows how to advertise since their machines are marginal based on posters here, yet they sell a ton of units.
I'll be watching come June.

I was thinking the same thing mindcrime1988.

This type of viral marketing might work for a new pair of shoes or such, but this is not the type of community to be cute with. You would think Garrett would know that. I am looking forward to seeing what they have come up with.

As long as it's been taking, I really hope Garrett will be showcasing/releasing an exceptional detector tomorrow. They desperately need something to stand out & surpass the other fantastic detectors out there which many folks have been flocking to. Myself included.

crossed-fingers-linear-icon-gesture-for-making-a-wish.jpg
Looks like total catch-up if you ask me. How closely they catch up to the current leaders like Minelab and XP and Nokta Makro remains to be seen, but I see nothing in the specs that looks like it will be any sort of upgrade to any of those machines. They're not bringing anything new to the party, aside from that silly 3-tier pay to upgrade features thing.

Looks like total catch-up if you ask me. How closely they catch up to the current leaders like Minelab and XP and Nokta Makro remains to be seen, but I see nothing in the specs that looks like it will be any sort of upgrade to any of those machines. They're not bringing anything new to the party, aside from that silly 3-tier pay to upgrade features thing.
Well, I must agree with you especially in regards to that 3 tier pay to play thing. That bothers me the most. Feels like SaaS (Software as a service) in a metal detector. A worrying thing in itself. I'd hate to think we only own the hardware and they come up later with the "Annual License Fee and Support" crap to continue using the detector. They would follow in the footsteps of other greed-mongers like Micro$oft, Ci$co, and other great companies that milk the customer to death beyond purchase. Unless Garrett has absolutely no intention of beginning this process it's a hard NO for me on the Vortex. And also if I pay for a VX9 I don't want them having anymore insight into my machine or some silly requirement to connect it every 30 days or 45 days to the internet to validate a license or some other nonsense.

If they can assure us IN WRITING that is not a possibility it would ease my mind greatly.
I'm not pleased with the proprietary Wireless route they took either. That is no different than MoneyLab and XP.
So in reality if you get the VX9 version, the wireless headphones, and the Viper Coil (why would you NOT get it), you're looking at around $900+
Now, what do you get for that? Will it keep up with the Nokta Legend, Double Score and Triple Score? How about the Minelab XTerra Elite? Or even the "old" Equinox 600? We won't even go into whether or not it can best a Deus 2 or Manticore, that is not the focus here at all. The thing is simple- Is it good enough to keep up with the other known detector models mentioned above in the same price range? Not BETTER than, but EQUAL to. The wonderful thing is that it may possibly find us things in the old places where our other detectors have went silent. Simply looking at the ground, the targets, and such from a different perspective and method just may make it interesting enough for us. And that is what the Vortex may do. I'm willing to entertain the thought of trying one but first have to put a lot of things to rest in my mind with that possible "oh we want some money now every year to keep your license active" garbage being the most troubling. I've bought more expensive detectors than the Vortex and they disappointed me. I'm not asking a lot out of it, just make things interesting for me again when I'm able to go out and detect. Show me things differently, let me hear them differently, and just give me a second or third opinion on these old places I've already been over.

Was thinking all af the things you mentioned today their Rob, subscription based is where most companies returning revenue has many big businesses creating they ‘stickiness’ model. Hope this is the case with Garett and possible just ‘one’ upgrade fee only and what the will likely do is throw in a limited time special where they throw in a pin pointer or even a coil to tier up, was what came to mind today for me. Does their coil that they offer if one owned the Apex already work with the Vortex? I notice the separation step up and the tones etc…very marketed to those who are interested in that but for me I’m reading between the lines here only time will tell. Also thin hammered coins won’t be needed for me where I hunt so no reason to step up and I see US Coins and Custom setting will they come out later with an iInternational version like they do with the ACE I series? For me seems more suited to a European market to compete with MINELAB and XP Dues on hammered coins which is suited for those or Even Spanish coins not a bad idea for Garrett to propose this so I will give them that on the newer technologies multifrequency has to offer but only to 25Khz, can an upgrade get them to 40Khz to compete though or maybe ‘elite or Vortex Pro later is my bet. and at this time without further test bed reviews and field hunting and beach salt and high mineralization vs the rest of the higher end beast competition models to the Vortex tiime will tell but seems from what I heard on a YouTube so commentary folks were hoping Garett would come out with something in the higher level not necessary the beginner and intermediate class where I feel this is sitting right now for me anyways.. but yeah like most was hoping for a more a higher end model to compete with the Legend , Minelab 900, Manticore and Deus 2 comparing these will wait to see a head to head test on these soon.

I like it.
Surprised there isn't more buzz on here about it. Just think, another mfg besides Minelab has given you a ferrous and non-ferrous target response display and it includes signal strength. Plus you get two levels of ferrous response. Spend some time focused on the display and you see it the closest thing to a minelab xy display they can get without a court date. VX9 for $600 bucks. Even if you start out with a VX5 and buy the software update later to a VX9, its still only $600 bucks total cost.

Subscription talk is just fear mongering in my opinion.
HH
Mike

I like it.
Surprised there isn't more buzz on here about it. Just think, another mfg besides Minelab has given you a ferrous and non-ferrous target response display and it includes signal strength. Plus you get two levels of ferrous response. Spend some time focused on the display and you see it the closest thing to a minelab xy display they can get without a court date. VX9 for $600 bucks. Even if you start out with a VX5 and buy the software update later to a VX9, its still only $600 bucks total cost.

HH
Mike
One of the sheep huh? I never said Garrett would be the one to abuse the customer. I think their intentions are pure. However, you already mentioned another company who would love to have even more dollars. They would be the first ones to push license fees, support contracts to get bug fixes, updates and such. Anything extra they could grab.
Perhaps you would enjoy paying for the right to use your detector beyond purchase. Not this old boy.
There should be a very strong message sent to any company that would try such tactics with a metal detector. That it is totally unacceptable.
That's all I'm trying to say here.

I like it.

HH
Mike
XP Deus has had a ferrous and non-ferrous target response display since the Deus I

Thanks for the "sheep" insult, Rob.

I think the better the competition gets the less that "other" company will try to snooker us with such things. Companies only get away with consumer abuse when they have a corner on a market that allows it. I agree with you that any type of "subscription" fee on a metal detector would be unacceptable. What I find strange is that such talk is directed at Garrett because they have decided not to force you to buy a completely new detector if you wanted to upgrade within a model series. Its an industry first. Garret is good at industry firsts.....Ace......AT......and this.

I remember the Xterra release fiasco. The 30 and 50 models were released and everyone jumped on the 50 models thinking it was the high end model, and then several weeks later, the 70 model was released. A lot of anger from the 50 model buyers that now had to sell their new 50 model detector to buy the new 70 model. Whats going on with the Score model series right now?

Garrett has side stepped that. Garrett is allowing the consumer to buy their new technology at the price point they can afford for that model series and buy an upgrade to a higher feature set at a later date when they are ready for it. Not only that but think of this.....the Garret Vortex resale value will always remain high. A VX5 will always only be an upgrade away from the VX9. So buy and try won't cost you much more than wear and tear.

What I'm waiting for is the operating manual so I can see the feature set better and read/see real world reports. I'm hoping for the best. I don't have a Garrett model in my stable right now and would like to add one.

Iron Buzz, I had forgotten about the Dues' xy graph. Thanks for reminding me.

HH
Mike

What I find strange is that such talk is directed at Garrett because they have decided not to force you to buy a completely new detector if you wanted to upgrade within a model series.
Garrett is allowing the consumer to buy their new technology at the price point they can afford for that model series and buy an upgrade to a higher feature set at a later date when they are ready for it.
Is that what it is? IDK--I'm asking. :dontknow:

It sounds very much to me like the Teslas that come with all the hardware, but then you have to pay upgrade fees to be able to use the hardware (including some of the battery) that you've already paid for and is parked in your garage.

The only difference between these metal detector models is software? I... don't... know... 🤔
How long is it going to take for some hacker to crack the security and bootleg the upgrades? 😣

Maybe if there were hardware modules or something, but I could see some customer resentment knowing you've already got the hardware in your hands and the mfr. wants you to fork over to be able to use it.

Thanks for the "sheep" insult, Rob.

I think the better the competition gets the less that "other" company will try to snooker us with such things. Companies only get away with consumer abuse when they have a corner on a market that allows it. I agree with you that any type of "subscription" fee on a metal detector would be unacceptable. What I find strange is that such talk is directed at Garrett because they have decided not to force you to buy a completely new detector if you wanted to upgrade within a model series. Its an industry first. Garret is good at industry firsts.....Ace......AT......and this.

I remember the Xterra release fiasco. The 30 and 50 models were released and everyone jumped on the 50 models thinking it was the high end model, and then several weeks later, the 70 model was released. A lot of anger from the 50 model buyers that now had to sell their new 50 model detector to buy the new 70 model. Whats going on with the Score model series right now?

Garrett has side stepped that. Garrett is allowing the consumer to buy their new technology at the price point they can afford for that model series and buy an upgrade to a higher feature set at a later date when they are ready for it. Not only that but think of this.....the Garret Vortex resale value will always remain high. A VX5 will always only be an upgrade away from the VX9. So buy and try won't cost you much more than wear and tear.

What I'm waiting for is the operating manual so I can see the feature set better and read/see real world reports. I'm hoping for the best. I don't have a Garrett model in my stable right now and would like to add one.

Iron Buzz, I had forgotten about the Dues' xy graph. Thanks for reminding me.

HH
Mike
You make some good points there, Mike. I was skeptical of the upgrade scheme, but then I remembered all the newbies coming to the FB detecting group that I frequent... they often want to buy the cheapest "decent" detector they can to see if they like the hobby. The problem with that approach is 1) they may get frustrated with the cheaper detector and 2) they will have problems selling it so their new machine will effectively cost them as much as both the new one and the old one that they will stick in a closet. With Garrett's scheme, that won't happen.

(The XP horseshoe also shows ferrous/nonferrous, BTW)

Is that what it is? IDK--I'm asking. :dontknow:

It sounds very much to me like the Teslas that come with all the hardware, but then you have to pay upgrade fees to be able to use the hardware (including some of the battery) that you've already paid for and is parked in your garage.

The only difference between these metal detector models is software? I... don't... know... 🤔
How long is it going to take for some hacker to crack the security and bootleg the upgrades? 😣

Maybe if there were hardware modules or something, but I could see some customer resentment knowing you've already got the hardware in your hands and the mfr. wants you to fork over to be able to use it.
Why does it matter if the equipment is installed but not enabled vs not installed in the first place? Cars have forever come with "packages" that you have to buy if you want to upgrade from the basic model. The difference between that and the Tesla plan is that with Tesla, you're not stuck with the basic model if you later want to upgrade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back