Introduction and possible artifact ID!

Shullivan

Jun 29, 2024
Hello! My name is Jacob. I have never posted in a forum like this but I no longer have social media so this my only option for now! I live in Ohio and have been metal detecting for about 10 years and most recently started Native American artifact hunting. It all started about 2 years ago while digging down to fix a leak at my well head. At about 2 ft deep, I dug out my first Arrowhead and I've been hooked since ( I'll attach a photo.) most recently I stumbled into another worked piece sitting on the surface! Now, I'm digging sample holes where my arrowheads have been found. Today, I found this hollowed out piece and I was wanting to know if you guys think this piece could have been worked or if it's natural?

The top two photos are of the piece I found today. That's hollowed out. The bottom photo is of the pieces I found over the last couple years.
1000001547.jpg
1000001546.jpg
1000001526.jpg

Upvote 12
...I live in Ohio...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: OHIO for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

...recently started Native American artifact hunting...
tn_metal_detector.gif
You might consider browsing (and posting your pictures) on NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN ARTIFACTS for additional exposure...

...I found this hollowed out piece and I was wanting to know if you guys think this piece could have been worked or if it's natural?
tn_metal_detector.gif
If no one can identify your find - you might consider posting your pictures on WHAT IS IT? for additional exposure...

Welcome to Tnet Jacob. You found one really nice arrowhead. The one on the left is called a Thebes, named after a small town in So IL along the Miss River. It’s about 9400 yrs old. A time period called the early archaic. It’s actually a knife, and had a short handle. The curved out place on the blade is made to scrape shafts. I think the material it’s made from is Flintridge. So you have an early archaic Flintridge Thebes shaft scraper. It has good value and any collector would very happy to own it. The other arrowhead is more crudely made and I’m not sure about it. The small cup like piece is nothing I recognize.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.
The first piece looks natural to me.
The other 2 are great finds.
Keep searching; you’ll find more.

As Toddspoint said nice Thebes point, the first 2 pictures is natural stone, if you blow picture up I see no signs of drilling, grinding, or the hands of man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back